When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Skyland Avenger runs REALLY fast crown up or down

Devedander

So I have a V3 (I believe) skyland that just stopped entirely.  I sent it to China with a family member who got it fixed cheap in a shop, but it came back behaving very oddly.

I noticed it gained minutes a day (40 or so).  I tried demagnetizing it (not sure I did that right) and it didn't seem to help.  Then one day it held time just fine all day and overnight... then it went back to being really fast again.

I tried a bunch of things like not screwing down the crown all the way or running the chrono etc but nothing helped.  Then I realized it seemed to keep better time while I was at work at a desk. 

So I tested it dial up and over an hour (Against my iphone stopwatch) it kept to within a second.

But crown up or down it gained almost 2 minutes in an hour. 

I assume the answer is going to be full service but just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions?  At the cost of a servcie of a 7750 it seems I would be better off buying another watch or looking to replace the movement. 

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

That could be a host of different things. It could be dry or dirty, that will cause watches to run fast in the vertical positions but not as much in the horizontal but with the HUGE difference you're talking about I'd lean a lot more towards the hairspring rubbing on something or the regulator pins being bent. Of course it's impossible to say without having the watch in my hand to inspect. It could even be a guard pin problem a bent balance pivot. Just no telling without being able to actually look at it and diagnose it.