When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6538 Submariner V2.0

dbane883

As some of you might be aware, I parted out a phong-based 6538 a few months ago.  It was a very enjoyable build but it was always intended to be one part of the process.  Although i have built a few 6538's for other members since then, I have had to be patient to complete a new 6538 build that, in all likelihood will be my final complete big crown build.  

I've always been drawn toward the early red-depth 6538's with the minimalist dial and exaggerated bevels.  Given the recent red-depth 6538's that we've seen from cc33 and droptop (i contributed a little bit in the latter), I felt it was time to build one for myself.

The star of the show in any of these high-end builds is always the dial.  The dark lord's skills are unparalleled.  Attention to detail is truly amazing.  

IMG_8253_zpschewh30q.jpg

The no-glow lume that he applies is amazing, but I treated it to a slight aging to give it a more period-correct look, which to be honest, is a scary task..but I think it turned out reasonably well:

IMG_8256_zps951hrdb3.jpg

I was fortunate enought to score some genuine 6538 hands that were skeleton and a bit beat up.  The hands were cleaned and lumed to match the dial.  Heres what they look like after I slightly aged the lume:

IMG_8258_zpsig9minil.jpg

The negative relief gilt always amazes me:

IMG_8260_zpsnkedhvxt.jpg

The midcase is from phong and his recent efforts are much better than early versions IMHO.  The lug tips swoop beautifully, but of course, the case sides are poorly finished and the bevels are a mess.  I completely rewored the case to straighen the sides and recut all the bevels to make it age-appropriate for an early red-depth model, which tended to have much larger bevels than the later big crowns:

IMG_8270_zpsyavqylpy.jpg

IMG_8269_zpszkkfgzge.jpg

Of course the crystal is a gen T17 and the crown and tube are gen 8mm as well.  And yes, the movement is a gen 1030.

The final reason to build this project was to showcase an insert that could be one of a kind.  Not only is it a "kissing 40" long 5, but the 50 is also kissing!.  This is the fattest font sub insert I have ever seen.  I dont beleive a fatter one exists anywhere... Of course, it was priced accordingly!.. But I just had to own it.

IMG_8266_zpslnd0ifw5.jpg

IMG_8267_zpsnnmeb9wr.jpg

Here is the insert compared to a "regular" long 5:

IMG_8271_zpsly4x93xm.jpg

The Phong bezel was treated to remove some of the nickel plating to reveal the brass.  I also created some micro-pitting which is present on most 60 year-old bezels. At some point, I will replace it with a gem bezel if I ever find one. :

IMG_8268_zpslhtb8odu.jpg

Some profile shots:

IMG_8262_zps251lqgst.jpg

IMG_8263_zpsdkviw0hq.jpg

IMG_8264_zpsbs5sjrjn.jpg

IMG_8265_zpsr8jkvtm5.jpg

Completely assembled with a gen 7206 rivet bracelet that I recent had restored by Michael Young.  Gen 80 endlinks of course:

IMG_8272_zpsotprpusv.jpg

IMG_8273_zps7z21d7xr.jpg

IMG_8274_zpsxzvnchj8.jpg

Nearly forgot the obligatory wristshot:

IMG_8275_zpsqmuim6w0.jpg

Given my recent commitments, Im not sure I will ever build another one of these again.  This will be a keeper for sure.   I have a gen pearl that I will be installing at some point, but for now, its good to have a big crown back in the rotation.

I should add that the hands are the early genuine 6538 hands that were slightly curved at the tips of the sweep and minute hands. I would not have built this if I didn't acquire these amazing hands:

e0b2d973209c1453e113740e2e552681.jpg

46f93245485c4f5ec17bed3952299a63.jpg

• Like 6

Holy worn out printing pad on that insert. That is without a doubt that the fattest font of all the the times. It is awesomely cartoonish. I say that with respect and a touch of insert envy.

What an incredible build.

My friend you have some serious skills.

Congratulations on a wonderful outcome.

I guess having the third best red depth 6538 will have to be good enough for me....

how are you doing the micro pitting DB?

No kidding ... my bezel is begging to look like that.

And those hands! Holy smokes they're gorgeous. When can I send you my Big Gonzo to make my hands look like those?

Thanks guys.

As for the micro-pitting. I used a combination of tumbling in sand blasting glass beads, rubbing with steel wool and soaking in acid.

Careful with the acid as if left too long, the brass could dissolve completely. Not to mention fumes.

Then pulsated in an high power ultrasonic for an hour will also create tiny cavitation marks. Then a quick polish.

The above steps were repeated 2-3 times.