When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An interesting approach to a 6538 rep :-) or better homage

gasebah

That is probably an old story that has been discussed but I stumbled over it only today. I bought one of Big Dazza's 6538s although I am not a Rolex guy (but always like the 6538 for some reason). That encouraged me to read a little more about the 6538. And then I found this: 

http://tempus-machina.com/pages/the-story

Edited by gasebah
typos

But not in mint condition. :-)

But I agree. If someone coughs up that kind of money for a watch he can as well get the real thing,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused. Why aren't the Rolex lawyers beating a path to their door with a view to shutting them down. Basically the watch is a 'fake' Rolex.

It's "Modified" not fake. 

They take a Gen 114060 and

remove the crown guards,

install a custom Gilt dial,

Install custom hands, 8mm crown,

Flatten the scallop bezel, 

Drill lug holes

Install custom made dome sapphire

Modify the Ceramic Insert with a custom red triangle 

Edited by pam007
  • Like 1

This^^^

I have been following their progress online.  Lots of threads about this watch around the forums and internet.  I do believe we will continue to see more of this watch in the future.  A couple of well know watch sites have done articles on it and it is gaining momentum.  Check out their press clippings on the website.  

I personally think it is a beautiful piece.  Real relieve gilt dial, lug holes, custom made bezel and crystal.  True work of art.  I have honestly considered buying one of these.  I have a nice fund set aside that I am planning on purchasing a couple of vintage pieces with, but this would be an awesome daily wearer. Vintage look with modern ruggedness.  Cool factor is off the charts.  Only issue I have--being a serial flipper, if I decided to move it on the market size would be considerably smaller than for a "stock" Rolex and hard to evaluate ROI and how it might hold its value.      

There is no ROI on this. You will lose money as most Rolex purists already consider it a Franken.

Consider what constitutes value of a genuine Rolex watch. It's definitely not the materials used. The value is tied to the history of the company, life style, marketing, product placement and reliability on its ability to hold value in line or above inflation.

This watch will never be serviceable by Rolex or have any tie to any Rolex pedigree. Which just makes it a parts watch or at best a mutant hybrid only appealing to a small group of WIS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk