When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Packaging/shipping from fellow members on M2M sales

astonjenks

Morning Guys

I wanted to open the discussion on etiquette on packaging and shipping from fellow members in M2M sales and get your views please?

A few weeks ago I purchased a Patek from an RWI member and as always paid immediately and provided my shipping details and received tracking details. The package was acknowledged via tracking that it landed at Heathrow airport on the 1st August and I thoght no more. On Friday the 14th August I chased the Royal Mail and asked where it was and yesterday it arrived in an outer clear envelope with 'Our sIncerest Apologies' written on it as it had been split and was totally empty apart from a small amount of tissue which was apparently used to wrap the $200 watch in.

I contacted the seller and informed him thinking that there would be no way that anyone would send a complete watch Internationally (Or anywhere for that matter) wrapped in a toilet tissue and put in a regular envelope to which the answer, along with two photos came back of exactly the said regular envelope and confirmation that he had sent numerous such packages without issue and couldnt b eheld responsible for theft.

Now, I am very street wise and very experienced sending and receiveing watches and can only say that although I believe the watch was sent, the sender was completely crazy to send any watch or part (strap maybe ok) in a regular envelpe and think thats ok or am I wrong?

The final question is do we now need to ask any M2M seller how they are going to package/send a watch/parts in future, yes I am a tad pissed with this guy for thinking what he has done is ok without recourse, for me Im down $300 which is no biggy, however in the literally hundreds of watches Ive sent and received this has never happenned before which I put down to being packaged properly.

Id welcome your views.

Regards

Andy

• Like 1

Wow, that is unbelievable.
Sorry to say but a member sending whatever in a regular envelop wrapped in toilet paper, really?
And admitting it ?!
In my books, he owes you the 200$.

Wrapping the item in bubble plastic, then into a carton protection and finally in a bubbled envelop is the minimum.
When it comes to a watch, I would wrap it like described here above and add tape all over the envelop edges just to make sure the alleged indestructible envelop doesn't fail the journey.

Simple advice to the sellers here: if you do not have the proper wrapping material handy, delay the sending and buy some.
Your buyer will prefer to get it's purchase intact 24 hours later rather than nothing at all. 

Cheers
Stephane

• Like 2

Thanks guys for agreeing with me.

For some reason it did not post, maybe because I am not there much?

The seller at RWI was Retina based in Singapore, photo attached of the envelope showing its ridiculous size with a Fiddy to compare, who the hell would ship a watch like this?

Regards

AJ

retina2.jpg

AJ,

Sorry to hear about this. I have had the same thing happen twice. Once, the piece arrived all beat up, the other just like this with an empty envelope and a piece of wax paper inside...

Even though this should be 100% on the shipper, we split the cost. Both were bought on other forums where I do not spend much time so I felt it would have been more difficult to pursue. Also I was new at the time and did not have much credibility and the seller was pretty well known.

You have a long history of transactions and a stellar reputation. I would hope you will get some support from the mods over there on this.

It just makes zero sense to pack a watch like this.

Good luck

It's absolutely insane the way this guy packed your watch. Unfortunately, this is not uncommon at all. I got watches back from REX on RGM who was a watch repair person and should have known better, wrapped up in one of those soft FedEx envelopes, then inside a USPS soft envelope! And he was surprised when the watches arrived broken! Same from other members. No padding, regular envelope, terrible way to pack.

I have sold a lot of watches, gen and rep over the years, and thus far no problems, but I try to make my packages "bomb proof". Watch wrapped in bubble wrap, surrounded by packing peanuts, inside a hard sided box. Outside a legible printed label. And lots of tape to secure the box.

The way AJ's watch was packed, anyone handling the package could feel the shape of a watch inside, slide the package in their pocket, take a break, one slit with a box cutter, watch falls out, empty package returns to the line and Bingo! Some thief has a nice new watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crap I put a leather strap/s in a box, as AJ can tell you. I am tempted to contact heads of all the boards to incorporate this into all our sales rules. Something like" If you ship a watch it must be in a  box : Styrofoam or cardboard  (no soft envelopes gents) or YOU are responsible for lose or breakage." 

By the way love those little styrofoam ones I get from China, .

• Like 2

Legend

I do not know where it was or wasn't taken out of the packing. The label from my Post Office just says we're sorry it was open and resealed!

Thanks Mike, by acident of course.

The seller has not repsonded further just taken the money and confirmed he has had no problem!

Regards

AJ

Am i being too synical as I just re read the OP and he added the following:

'forgot to add... customs risks is on buyer, usual trading rules apply. i'm not responsible for careless mailman as well'

I'm sure its just a coincidence........................

Edited by astonjenks

Unfortunately, common sense isn't at all "common".

It's definitely an aspect of a M2M sale that should be discussed pre-transit to help avoid this!

Hopefully the seller has learnt from his mistake and won't continue to package in his toilet tissue! Perhaps kitchen towel next?

Sorry to hear about this AJ.

G-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am i being too synical as I just re read the OP and he added the following:

'forgot to add... customs risks is on buyer, usual trading rules apply. i'm not responsible for careless mailman as well'

I'm sure its just a coincidence........................

Andy that was there 3 pages before you bought it/ seller marked sold and I do not see you in thread at all ? (Guys always post PM sent before you do it gives me a time line when I  investigate.)  It was OPs like 2nd post in thread, I think he just forgot to put it in. 

Like all these things time has lessenned the annoyance and I have many other things to get on with that have more importance. If this 'lesson' serves to stop stupidity so far as packaging and one less watch 'missing' then thats a great thing.

Thanks for all your comments guys.

AJ

OK guys heard from seller and although I am not happy with anyone not using a box it was not a total bad job unfortunately I'm sure by the time Andy got what was left it sure looked like it.  Why I read it tissue  (around bracelet,watch ,under case back etc ) to keep from getting scratches then plastic wrap then regular envelope then into bubble shipping envelope. I will look into this further guys just give me some time at work now.

• Like 1

Wow! This same thing recently happened this spring over on RG. A member shipped a watch wrapped in newspaper and put it in a paper envelope. Of course, the watch arrived damaged and many of the markers fell off the dial. The buyer was so cooperative and cool about it but wanted a refund. The seller was a complete [censored] about it and even after the mods got involved and demanded that he refund the buyer and repair it himself, he still only partially refunded the buyer even though the watch was returned to him. Bad situation.

Who on Earth thinks a delicate jewelry item such as a mechanical watch could withstand delivery in a paper envelope? These same members post threads worrying about mowing the lawn with their watch, and yet they ship these in an envelope???

I've had a watch shipped to me in the same manor, from Singapore too, not that that matters. Fortunately, mine arrived in working condition (until I dropped it doh!). What really annoyed me was that it was a trade. I sent the other party several photos of my watch (a 47mm Pam from AJ) wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap and of it going into a padded envelope (Sorry Mike!). My packing was bombproof and the watch arrived just fine. I was first to send as he was at work so couldn't get to a post office until later in the day, so he saw how much care I'd taken in my packaging. The Rolex Explorer II that I received was just dropped into a non padded envelope without any bubble wrap or any protection. How it survived all the way from Singapore I'll never know but it did (until I dropped it). 

Your seller AJ is 100% responsible for his actions. Yes, once it's left him then it's on you, but he has to give the watch a fair chance or reaching you in good working condition. IMHO if he's been sending watches out packed like this then either he's been incredibly lucky in the past that they've arrived ok, or his buyers have just bitten the bullet and taken the hit themselves. 

Tottaly agree with with the comment that sellers should be responsible for packing the watch sufficiently well so that it arrives okay. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
Guest messinapete
Wow, that is unbelievable.
Sorry to say but a member sending whatever in a regular envelop wrapped in toilet paper, really?
And admitting it ?!
In my books, he owes you the 200$.
Wrapping the item in bubble plastic, then into a carton protection and finally in a bubbled envelop is the minimum.
When it comes to a watch, I would wrap it like described here above and add tape all over the envelop edges just to make sure the alleged indestructible envelop doesn't fail the journey.
Simple advice to the sellers here: if you do not have the proper wrapping material handy, delay the sending and buy some.
Your buyer will prefer to get it's purchase intact 24 hours later rather than nothing at all. 

Cheers
Stephane

Well said I got this from ‘Dtime’ top of the range $588 came like this.
418cf2265399124d655a0f044ac6e2c1.png

418cf2265399124d655a0f044ac6e2c1.png&key=a0de2c0ed9353e500fc3920cb3805461058975d9eb36069a830d0eb40a7afe85

I should add Rolex Daytona Cosmograph 12660 Noob J factory.

3 hours ago, messinapete said:

418cf2265399124d655a0f044ac6e2c1.png

If that is the inner packing, it is perfectly acceptable. 

What was being discussed was the way the package was packed overall. 

If Dtime pasted an address label on what you showed and shipped them like that, for example, it will be newsworthy. 

Else, I do not see anything abnormal or exceptional about the way your watches were packed.