When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch arrived DOA - any alternatives besides sending back?

busetinha

Hi guys,

I ordered a bunch of watches and a few of them came in today. They all worked perfectly except for one which arrived DOA - it was a solid gold submariner with an A2813 movement. I was really looking forward to this one :( Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a cheap alternative besides sending the watch back to the TD for replacement/repair. I am thinking of maybe just swapping out the movement for a new one, I know the 2813's really arent that expensive. Does anyone know where I can buy one? Then I'll just find a watch smith to do the dirty work. Or is this a bad idea?

Depending on where you're located would determine whether I would send it back or not. If you're in the states, I personally wouldn't send it back to the TD, customs might seize it. As far as fixing it goes, it might be something super simple for a watch smith to do. You might not need a new movement, and you might save money in the process by not having to by a new movement. If it is a rep you really like I would recommend getting it serviced anyways, the care reps are given in these factory's is not exactly great from what I hear. Most of the people who service them will tell you that they are poorly handled and almost all the time need to be cleaned and oiled. I hope this helps.

"Depending on where you're located" Guys important to at least put your country in your profile, buying selling asking questions it is needed. I understand most like to remain under the radar but country ain't giving much away. And depending on what country you are in I maybe able to help you. Oh just get a new 2813 they are not expensive.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply! I just noticed you're in Florida - I live in Orlando. If you happen to be in the area, do you recommend anyone good to do the servicing?

Depending on where you're located would determine whether I would send it back or not. If you're in the states, I personally wouldn't send it back to the TD, customs might seize it. As far as fixing it goes, it might be something super simple for a watch smith to do. You might not need a new movement, and you might save money in the process by not having to by a new movement. If it is a rep you really like I would recommend getting it serviced anyways, the care reps are given in these factory's is not exactly great from what I hear. Most of the people who service them will tell you that they are poorly handled and almost all the time need to be cleaned and oiled. I hope this helps.

Is it just not running ? Does it all function as it should. Take the back off and see if you can see anything obvious. Check if the balance wheel is free and spins.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I took off the back case and everything was spinning - but the second hand will not move...its weird...its completely stagnant...but after 5-10 minutes it will be in a different position...so it appears just to be moving realllly realllly slowly lol

As said 2813 is considered a too cheap to service kind of movement. You can find them for probably $30, if you've already taken off the back replacing the movement is only a few more steps. Besides, what's the worse that could happen? It already doesn't work... :bangin: search out a tutorial on movement swaps and buy a few tools and do it yourself. 

As said 2813 is considered a too cheap to service kind of movement. You can find them for probably $30, if you've already taken off the back replacing the movement is only a few more steps. Besides, what's the worse that could happen? It already doesn't work... :bangin: search out a tutorial on movement swaps and buy a few tools and do it yourself. 

lol...i've removed the movements and crowns many times from a watch case, the part I'm not confident doing is the dial and hands swap..if anyone has a good link on how to do the whole process, would be greatly appreciated...

No one has asked so I will.  Did you try winding it with the crown to see if you can get the movement going?  I have had some of the clone movements not work with auto function (wrist movement) but they would wind and run via a good 25 or so twists on the crown.  

No one has asked so I will.  Did you try winding it with the crown to see if you can get the movement going?  I have had some of the clone movements not work with auto function (wrist movement) but they would wind and run via a good 25 or so twists on the crown.  

yep...wound it for a minute straight and nothing

i just bought a new 2813 off ebay for 36 dollars including shipping. now I have to wait another 2 weeks lol

Edited by busetinha

OK, good luck with the work.  If nothing else you will learn something.  I tried to do some work on a couple pieces and learned I was better off sending that work out to Matt....just kidding.  I keep working on some cheapies I have for practice and eventually I will be able to do more stuff.  I have acquired more tools so when winter comes I will attempt to do a complete "cheap" build.  I enjoy it just not very good at it yet.