When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thoughts on this 1675?

droptopman

Really like this dial and hands.  Also like the silver date disk.  Really planned on something older, but giving this some serious thought.  At some point these 70's models will be the next to appreciate in value, especially one with a rare dial.

What do you guys think?

http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1977-rolex-gmt-1675-radial-dial 

33rd.jpg

That's a pretty one for sure.  I picked up my radial dial for a song because the seller thought it was a fake.  One thing your example is missing is the extremely rare radial-date function, where there are two concentric date disks to show the date in two different time zones.

• Like 1

Yeah the Radial dial has a real neat vintage vibe, much like a 6542 with the small plots.  To my eye it's a lot nicer than what followed, and will appreciate more because it's a little more rare.

Agreed Nanuq! It's a nice example from a good seller. He is always willing to offer a discount on his listed prices so don't be shy to ask! He also takes trades and offers very fair value for your trade in, food for thought. 

I find these look best with all black inserts.. 

Bonus is that the radial dial goes with the all red gmt hand, if you ever found one it would make the watch seriously amazing. 

image.jpg

Edited by cc33
  • Like 2

Thanks guys. I do like it a lot and dig the seller. CC is right he is a great guy to deal with. Still after the elusive birth year piece, but have enough in my fund for this and a birth year 5513 when one pops up. Either that or go for one watch--somewhat ultra rare vintage piece. Knowing myself and the way I flip pieces probably do the 2 watch route. Oh and I want one modern watch too...I am hopeless.

Probably just stick with this store as he has new pieces every day and I trust him.

Looks great, but for 10k, I would be on the hunt for a red sub or a gilt sub...Maybe even a Tudor Gilt?  Might be hard but not impossible to find a good example

Jacek is one of the nicest and most professional dealers in vintage watches

I have sold and bought from him, most recent being my 1680.

Good Luck with your hunt.

DSC07468_zpsrvunaehg.jpg

Edited by pam007
  • Like 1

What a difference a couple of years makes. There was an amazing late 60s all original 1675 for sale on the boards a couple of years ago (maybe 3?) with all boxes, papers, tags, and various service letters and other memorabilia the owner collected from over the years. $6kish and it wasn't moving. Was on there for weeks and weeks.

At the same time there were '70s 1675s being listed at $3,500 to $4,500.

What a difference a couple of years makes. There was an amazing late 60s all original 1675 for sale on the boards a couple of years ago (maybe 3?) with all boxes, papers, tags, and various service letters and other memorabilia the owner collected from over the years. $6k and it wasn't moving. Was on there for weeks and weeks.

At the same time there were '70s 1675s being listed at $3,500 to $4,500.

Tell me about it brother.  My wife and I were in Seattle just a few years ago and were walking around downtown and went into a little antique/jewelry store and they had a decent 72 1675 I could have bought for $3800 cash.  It was no show piece, but a nice watch in good running order with a really good fat font faded insert.  We left to go have dinner and my wife asked me at least 3 times, are you sure you don't want to go back and buy that watch, you will regret not grabbing it...OH BOY do I regret it.  I think the more common 70's models (GMT's and Subs) will keep appreciating in price so I think even at the higher cost today it is still a decent investment that can be worn.  I keep going back and forth on what to get next.  The "one" or "two" will show themselves at some point.  I guess I will know for sure when I see it.   

Oh man, what a deal that would have been. I could drive myself insane with woulda coulda stories. I'm kicking myself daily for buying the top of the line Sony XBR tube TV with integrated stand and matching DVD player instead of a Rolex when I turned 30. I had an Explorer 1 all picked out and I was I deciding between that and a 16610 sub. The Exp was $2,200 or $2,300 retail back then and the sub was around $3k-ish. I thought the TV would be more practical so I bought that instead! OMG, what was I thinking? LOL! The TV is literally worth zero now.

Another one was from about 4 years ago or so. A big jewelry chain had a store here at the Mall of America. They had a policy where they have a 30 day money back, no questions asked return policy. They had a customer returned polar 16570 without lugholes for $3,300. Literally only worn 30 days. You didn't get a box but you got all the warranty backing. I loved it and still do love the polar, but I declined. Ugh, why did I do that? Sigh! LOL

I turned down a pristine 1675 in 1997 for $900 and regretted it, until my current 1675 came along.  I picked it up for $1,800 about 5 years ago because of its Radial dial.  The seller thought it was a fake and priced it accordingly.

:tu:

I turned down a pristine 1675 in 1997 for $900 and regretted it, until my current 1675 came along.  I picked it up for $1,800 about 5 years ago because of its Radial dial.  The seller thought it was a fake and priced it accordingly.

:tu:

I will give you 2000 for it right now:)

Times have definitely changed. My last Rolex purchase was a '66 Rolex 5512 - all original for $1200. And I bought it on RWG. emoji106.png

I remember that.  It was a Saturday morning and I grabbed my phone before jumping out of bed and saw the sale notice.  I was that close to PMing an "I'll take it!!" and saw you were interested too.  I waited 5 minutes and it was yours.

I still wake up in tears over that one.  :bangin:

• Like 1

"Times have definitely changed. My last Rolex purchase was a '66 Rolex 5512 - all original for $1200. And I bought it on RWG."

Good deal! I bought a 1675 from the original owner (purchased in late 1979) in March 2007 for $825. His brother has a 1655 purchased about the same time and I have first shot at it when he sells it...for about $2500 hopefully. I have over $2500 sunk in an ongoing 'lost cause' Phong 1655 case/dial/ with 1575GMT mvt project.

I find the best watch deals when I am not looking for them.