When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guys could you authenticate 5512 case and caseback

Blindpirat

Hi, all!

Need your help and expert opinion about Gen 5512 mid case and caseback I want to buy.

Seller said that case is Gen, and it was a part of retired watchmaker collection.. But seller is not a watch expert as he mentioned..

I don't know about black rubber gasket where bezel should be fitted, newer seen this one before.. Not on 5512 or 5513

Serial is: 5429xxx

What do you think, please help!

Thank you in advance!

Here are some pictures provided by seller:

e375ea0e60764a0b0a1f936e8d6786a8.jpg

9ca56f1b756e9677d121657883933fd9.jpg

fae1ffa83dfb528bce8abe17920ecb6e.jpg

c4961d18e8417a5ea3cf9d556423920e.jpg

8f49c900889898fd44e17ca6bac89b1c.jpg

9bd32cf448af1ffa63cd7cd37739bc60.jpg

1c388420601790530e9990bcfffc9d5b.jpg

720ea9ea07c42a480339116938a5176c.jpg

Thank you so much!

Gleb

Sent from Hell

Uhh, you might better consider my Franken LOL...just my 2 c´s

This guy is selling every year a couple of times the same package. Last time I was watching this was when I was thinking of going super franken so I actually bid but stopped when it got way out of control (the pricing that is). Because for this money you better get a GEN or a Franken (like I have built). 

...so might be of help to you (these were the winning prices of the auction back in February of this year)

Bezel: 380
Retaining ring: 280
Case: 980
Back Case: 361

Total for the casel: $2001 + $55 shipping 

So if you want to Franken your pants off then add:

Gen (serviced) Movement: 1500 euro

Gen Dial: 400 euro (starting price)

Gen Hands: 200 euro

Gen Tube & Crown: 200 euro

Gen T19 Plexi: 130 euro (service one that is)

Gen Bracelet: 600 euro 

Grand Total of Parts: $5.030

Then add the cost of professional assembly, waterproofing etc....I guess you´ll be at $ 5.250,- ...and for that money you definitely have a GEN and add a grand more and you´ll have one with papers and box LOL 

Looks aftermarket to me.
With very few exceptions, I would not generally purchase Rolex parts from anyone I do not know &/or from someone that does not have a long, established track record of dealing in authentic Rolex watches/parts. If the seller is on ebay, make sure they have at least 100 previous Rolex sales & no less than a 100% seller rating (99% is fine only after they have sold hundredS of Rolexes &/or Rolex parts).

• Like 2

It's fake.

He sells fake cases, bezel assemblies and case backs on ebay from time to time. 

His engraving have gotten better every year, but still fake.

People still bid on them because the quality is similar to phong. 

Here's a discussion about his cases

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=295506

Edited by pam007
  • Like 2

There was a topic on VRF or on RWG and the outcome was they are all fake. 

I dealt with the guy before,  bought complete bezels,  inserts and 700 crowns. They where all genuine. 

His name is Roberto. 

the 2 bezels he currently has up for sale are not genuine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Submariner-5513-bezel-vintage-original-/271961696964?hash=item3f522e2ac4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Submariner-5512-bezel-vintage-original-/271961681350?hash=item3f522dedc6

I don't know about black rubber gasket where bezel should be fitted, newer seen this one before.. Not on 5512 or 5513

Rubber gaskets were installed on all Rolex Oyster Cases starting around 5 mil serial.  

Here is my 5.1 serial 1680 with a rubber gasket.

IMG_0409.jpg

• Like 1

the 2 bezels he currently has up for sale are not genuine

I'm pretty sure they are genuine,  tell me where to buy an aftermarket bezel like this? Perfect rehaut for the insert. 

They fit perfect on genuine crystals and genuine retaining rings. 

Did you ever tried  to fit an aftermarket bezel on a genuine retaining ring,  it doesn't worked for me. I tried it several times with alot of different bezels. 

I'm pretty sure they are genuine,  tell me where to buy an aftermarket bezel like this? Perfect rehaut for the insert. 

Did you ever tried  to fit an aftermarket bezel on a genuine retaining ring,  it doesn't worked for me. I tried it several times with alot of different bezels. 

There were many iterations of the bezel assembly from the 60's to 70's to service.  At best, it looks like an over polished service bezel, but it's not. 

I would start by going here http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673 and do a search for "Jacek 5513" or "Jacek 1680" and study the bezel profiles. Look closely at the teeth and spacing 

If you're still not convinced, I can post some comparison pictures later tonight.  

• Like 1

There are a small number of high end sellers that offer aftermarket parts made to gen specs. Some of these fit together with other gen parts (like cases), but, like the case in the original post, they are still not exact 1:1 copies.

There are a small number of high end sellers that offer aftermarket parts made to gen specs. Some of these fit together with other gen parts (like cases), but, like the case in the original post, they are still not exact 1:1 copies.

Yes.  Here is an Aftermarket ST bezel on my 2.2 mil 5513 with a genuine crystal retention ring and genuine FF MK3 insert.  It's scary how good ST bezels are, with a good polish.  The one on from Roberto is pretty poor. 

20141203_122418.jpg

Thank you so much guys!!!

Look like I should avoid buying these.

It's sad, I thought to build perfect all Gen Sub.

Thank you again for all your time and help!

Sent from Hell

I would email jedly1@googlemail.com to see if he has any cases left.  

He has some genuine 5513 and 1680 cases for sale a while back. 

There were many iterations of the bezel assembly from the 60's to 70's to service.  At best, it looks like an over polished service bezel, but it's not. 

I would start by going here http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673 and do a search for "Jacek 5513" or "Jacek 1680" and study the bezel profiles. Look closely at the teeth and spacing 

If you're still not convinced, I can post some comparison pictures later tonight.  

Don't get me wrong, if I can learn, the better for me. But I bought an sold alot of bezels from the 60's to the service ones on different fora.

I bought bezels from this guy long before ST bezels even exist and sold  them on VRF to different wel known people! I personally had no luck with different aftermarket bezels (Phong, Nathalie, Yuki, Clark or whatever) fitting on a genuine retaining ring.

A few years ago I even tried to make some new gen spec. bezels on the CNC, the guy said it was almost impossible to do so no luck.

This is one of my ads on the VRF, old style  bezel:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/thread/1434996796/Rare+Super+Fat+font+insert+%2B+Complete+60s+bezel+assembly+%2B+MK1+Fat+font+long+5+insert

I will try to find the ad with the bezel in question.

Edited by nick1972

Don't get me wrong, if I can learn, the better for me. But I bought an sold alot of bezels from the 60's to the service ones on different fora.

I bought bezels from this guy long before ST bezels even exist and sold  them on VRF to different wel known people! I personally had no luck with different aftermarket bezels (Phong, Nathalie, Yuki, Clark or whatever) fitting on a genuine retaining ring.

A few years ago I even tried to make some new gen spec. bezels on the CNC, the guy said it was almost impossible to do so no luck.

This is one of my ads on the VRF, old style  bezel:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/thread/1434996796/Rare+Super+Fat+font+insert+%2B+Complete+60s+bezel+assembly+%2B+MK1+Fat+font+long+5+insert

I will try to find the ad with the bezel in question.

Never said anything about the bezels, you bought, however long ago.

I said the bezels he has for sale NOW are fake.  

And that Kissing 4 insert you bought from Glenn, I almost had it, but I thought he was wanting USD not AUD.  

3 things jumped out at me when i examined the photos for wear before i considered whether or not to look at the engravings, etc...

the rear of the case where it meets the case back is pristine.

the inner lug holes have no wear.

the rear of lugs have superficial wear.

does not add up to the wear located else where on the case.

• 3 months later...

"It's scary how good ST bezels are, with a good polish."

I have also had good luck with ST bezels but always install them as a pair...ST inner and outer bezel. Mixing them with others may not work as well. Some cartel and other aftmkt bezel parts are just out of whack.

I will always wonder if rwc makes their vintage replacement cases or has them made by outside suppliers. A rolex 5512/13/1680 etc with a 44 prefix 'genuine' replacement case is not worth much compared to an all genuine example in fine condition. I bet a detailed Yuki or Phong case with a '44' prefix serial number would pass for genuine with most rolex fanboys.

• Like 1