When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Locksmith or Safesmith in the house?

danielv2000

I have a large gun safe that is equipped with both a digital pad and a key mechanism.  Today, I noticed that the safe no longer locks.  I can open and close the door.  When I turn the wheel, the bolts engage but never lock.

I removed the door cover to investigate.  When I enter the code, I can see the inside mechanism releases to "unlock" the door but it never seems to actually lock.

Any help would be appreciated.

A few questions:

1 - do you live close to the place of purchase? I ask because this will make a difference especially for onsite repair at a reasonable price

2 - what brand is it? Probably the most import question....not all warranties are created equal with safes.

3 - what's the age of the unit?

Many of the safe manufacturers have limited lifetime warranties. Mine did something similar a few years ago and a call to the manufacture resulted in a replacement part for free :). They even provided on the phone service as I completed the job.

Thanks for he input.

The safe was built into the home when I purchased it.  Original owner said it was purchased from Cotsco maybe 8 years ago.  The warranty is definitely up, I think.  I may call them this week. Original owner is a friend so that will help.

I can always call a professional but if it's a simple fix... I might try my hand at it.

Edited by danielv2000

Thanks for he input.

The safe was built into the home when I purchased it.  Original owner said it was purchased from Cotsco maybe 8 years ago.  The warranty is definitely up, I think.  I may call them this week. Original owner is a friend so that will help.

I can always call a professional but if it's a simple fix... I might try my hand at it.

I highly doubt the warranty has expired. I've been looking at safes and so far every single manufacturer I've seen has a lifetime warranty. Every one of them so far. It makes sense, too. They want you to be able to trust their products with your family's most important valuables AND they want you to choose their products over alternative options. Fixing a failed part for free is a minor expense for a lifetime customer.

I highly doubt the warranty has expired. I've been looking at safes and so far every single manufacturer I've seen has a lifetime warranty. Every one of them so far. It makes sense, too. They want you to be able to trust their products with your family's most important valuables AND they want you to choose their products over alternative options. Fixing a failed part for free is a minor expense for a lifetime customer.

Called today and the warranty is expired.  They gladly suggested I buy a brand new gun safe! LOL

Called today and the warranty is expired.  They gladly suggested I buy a brand new gun safe! LOL

Wow. Huge bummer. Well, I stand corrected. Sorry about that. I'm kind of surprised by that. Maybe these lifetime warranties are a new phenomenon to draw people away from getting bank safety deposit boxes? I'm sure a lock smith can help you fix your issue.