When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where Did You Graduate From And What Degrees Do You Hold?

thomasng

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, with degrees from Cornell, Harvard, and Columbia, and, with homes on LI, St. T's and West Palm, you buy replicas??????

Cornell University BS in zoology

Harvard University Dental Medicine dental degree

Columbis University School of Dental and oral Surgery specialty in Periodontology

School of hard knocks, PHD in Pimpology alond with an MBA in BS.

Oh BTW, I make more money than most of the people in this country who actually have PHD's.

PhD candidates do it for the love of the game (whatever game they specialize in ;) ). Cost-Benefit analysis proves that income increases when obtaining an undergradate degree and a larger increase for a master's degree, but regresses for PhD holders.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule like yourself, and Im glad you are successful.... But no one from the School of Hard Knocks won a Nobel Prize in Economics :lol:

Of course there are exceptions to the rule like yourself, and Im glad you are successful.... But no one from the School of Hard Knocks won a Nobel Prize in Economics :lol:

Education is great if you can afford to take the time away from learning important stuff. :D

I'd have loved to be able to get three years of cheap beer and cheap student girls on someone else's dime, but I was too busy getting screwed by Thatcher's Britain to get in the program.

School of hard knocks, PHD in Pimpology alond with an MBA in BS.

Oh BTW, I make more money than most of the people in this country who actually have PHD's.

Interesting to see how degrees are taken in consideration just as a way to earn money, and not also as an educational complement for our social attitudes in life.

I got an Architect's degree and a Master in Interior Design.

Interesting to see how degrees are taken in consideration just as a way to earn money, and not also as an educational complement for our social attitudes in life.

There is no reason to spend $100,000 or more on an education than to have a successful career. No one goes to school, gets an MBA and works at Mcdonalds just to say they had a character building experience. No matter what anyone says, money is the biggest motivator. Anyone who says otherwise is broke or full of [censored].

There is no reason to spend $100,000 or more on an education than to have a successful career. No one goes to school, gets an MBA and works at Mcdonalds just to say they had a character building experience. No matter what anyone says, money is the biggest motivator. Anyone who says otherwise is broke or full of [censored].

Sure they do, as long as it's not their money. :D

What I don't understand is the perceived necessity for a degree to get the good jobs. Is it an artificially maintained divide between poor and rich, whereby you need to pay the six-figure entrance fee to get in on the fast track? I presume this is a US-bias, as in the UK education is a hell of a lot cheaper and you can do well without an old school tie or fraternity chant.

Go Obscure-Animals-To-Which-We-Liken-Our-Sports-Team!

That is false. I have friends who are teachers who spent lots of money on education, getting their MBAs, etc. who went back to teaching for a paltry salary. They could have high-paying jobs but choose to go into teaching.

This is the same path I'm taking. I had a $300,000 job more than a year ago, as part of an accounting firm, but I decided to give it all up for a PhD, and hoping to go into teaching, for the rewarding experience. Money means nothing to me anymore, as I think I can retire comfortably for the rest of my life with my wealth. :)

You may be right Pugwash...these are artifically imposed hurdles. However, serve thier purpose...if you want to have a crack at many top tier opportunities you have to forsake current opportunity and pay your dues just like the people who are hiring you did...Keeps those who are only moderately interested or not capable of handling these difficulties away...therebye creating a more suitable applicant pool from which to draw.

JEC

PS-physicians didn't know [censored] about medicine the day the entered medical school, but what they had done was show the ability to absorb large amounts of information and make critical decisions based on facts set before them...they had managed the selection process, and paid the price

I can assure you it didn't cost me or my family $100,000 for my education, but then again I had a partial scholarhip.

Five years thank you very much! :D

I'll see that and raise you one :whistling: (p.s. I'm jealous - if I had my time over again, Auld Reekie would top the list :D)

Yes, for my sins, I spent SIX whole years of my teens and early twenties somehow managing to combine playing hard (girls, beer, rowing, football in that order) with working hard (cutting up dead bodies, finding out where all the squishy things went, and then assessed every four weeks for years, somehow scraping 51% each time all the way to an MB BCh).

As for where, let's just say Kruzer's alma mater and my first port of call have some traditional rivalry 'cross the Pond especially in terms of oarsmanship, and unlike our bitterest local rival, we at least didn't provide the KGB with some of their most feckless foreign recruits ;)

After that it was 'real life' and a London teaching hospital with studies at the affiliated 'college' that allowed me to attend lectures (and Gran will seeth with jealousy here) given by a certain helix-related Nobel laureate still amongst it's teaching staff (MW). I felt very honoured.

However, despite my education I find that for every door it opens, increasingly there is always someone above you for whom it [censored] their own inferiority complex and wastes no time in letting you know that <_<. I am not a product of my education but I feel like it has given me the confidence to strive to better myself in other areas of life.

However, serve thier purpose...if you want to have a crack at many top tier opportunities you have to forsake current opportunity and pay your dues just like the people who are hiring you did...Keeps those who are only moderately interested or not capable of handling these difficulties away...therebye creating a more suitable applicant pool from which to draw.

Yet it means if you start poor, you'd better hope for a sporting scholarship or it'll take you generations to crawl out. Oh, hang on, that's what's happening in the US with the racial divide. Yeah, makes sense.