When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Good replica to start with

Raxford

Hi all

I'm a noobie but I've been lurking for a while. I'm interested in which reps - regardless of brand - are good to start with if you're new to the field. Are there any which tend to be better than others? While I'm most interested in Omega and Breitling, I'm open to others. Looking to explore a new hobby.

Cheers

Rax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, start with an Omega PO that has a Miyota movement.   These keep great time and are rock solid movements.   I have both a Ti/Blue dial 45mm version and a PO Sochi with that movement.   They are great pieces that look amazing.

Just decide if you want the 42mm or 45mm version and go from there.

I'll also add, that buying a chronograph with a seconds at the '6' should be generally avoided as the problems are well documented.  Example, Rolex Daytona's seem to have a high failure rate as I have read on this site.

Hey, if you are interested in a manual wind PAM, I have a PAM380 with 6 straps for sale for $300.  To get you going in the right direction, I'll offer it to you for $275.  For you only to get you in the game....so to speak.

If you like Breitlings then I'd go with a Seawolf with a Sellita SW200 movement. Very accurate with a solid movement. Just be aware that it is a thick watch at 18mm high. But it's well balanced as it sits on the wrist.

Everyone's suggestions here are solid.

And… I definitely agree with Mike… you'll go broke!

Hey, if you are interested in a manual wind PAM, I have a PAM380 with 6 straps for sale for $300.  To get you going in the right direction, I'll offer it to you for $275.  For you only to get you in the game....so to speak.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I think I'm going to look for a Breitling or the PO first. I'll let you know if I change my mind.

IMO, start with an Omega PO that has a Miyota movement.   These keep great time and are rock solid movements.   I have both a Ti/Blue dial 45mm version and a PO Sochi with that movement.   They are great pieces that look amazing.

Just decide if you want the 42mm or 45mm version and go from there.

Did you pick up your PO on here? Who'd you get it from? I hope this is an OK thing to ask, if not please PM.

Cheers!

Maybe start with a manual wind PAM model, usually trouble free and cheap and easy to have fixed if a problem. Also most PAMs very accurate out of the box.

+1

No matter where you start it wont end there so dont get to hung up on the first one mate...

I would recommend if you cant decide that you start with a brand you like or wanted to try... then think about your minimum and maximum watch size.... after that comes the makers and/or versions and best and more reliable after that..

Say if you wanted Breitling then size can be either say 42 or 44 then best OTB rep is arguably the SuperOcean Abyss... even laying next to the gen you cant spot the differences..

then you can look at the movement options...

If you are budget limited then do the same exercise but after the brand choice add budget limit...

If you fancy a PAM then ZF maker are having a sale at moment they have about 10/12 models on sale from auto to HW... starting around $170

Or look at the H maker or Noob low price PAMs they are some very good OTB reps at around $150.. Models like the 111,112, 113 or the FUs or Boutique editions etc etc

To make a choice I would really suggest you narrow it done first as decision will be hard enough after you have...

As for secs at 6... thats very much a maker and time rule as there is one maker that produces a decent at 6 movement and a purpose built one (as in not over plate gearing) coming shortly if not already here... as are a couple of others like working PR for IWC models.. etc etc 

Which ever way you go mate...it will NOT stop there so dont get too worried about it ... :);)

Edited by PeteM

f you fancy a PAM then ZF maker are having a sale at moment they have about 10/12 models on sale from auto to HW... starting around $170

Or look at the H maker or Noob low price PAMs they are some very good OTB reps at around $150.. Models like the 111,112, 113 or the FUs or Boutique editions etc etc

Thanks! I'm prepared and excited for this to only be the beginning. I got lost a bit on the above. ZF? H maker? Can you elaborate? I tried to find these in abbreviations but got no where.

Thanks again for the kind words

Rax

loosely they are abbreviations I guess that are used to differentiate between makers... some makers produce better or lesser reps... all dealers sell these watches (with a few exceptions, but generally speaking) 

Its too much to explain here all the variations... but once you decide on the brand, the model, the budget... you choose the maker (if there is more than one) usually and if you are lucky there will be one maker that stands above the others for your particular watch choice... (or maybe only one, in which case its a no brainer) anyway then you find out with research on here in relevant sections which maker makes the better version and which version is best of them... like V1 or V2 etc... or ZF maker or Noob maker etc

Once you know then go to a few of trusted dealers and see which one you would prefer to buy from in terms of cost of watch and cost of shipping and payment methods to suit... also check reviews of both watch and dealer... if you arent sure when looking over the dealer sites then its easier to email them direct and ask them specifically they will know what your talking about and will get back to you with price and shipping etc as you might want triangle shipping to minimize customs risks etc

Some TDs like Sead have EU stock limited but some decents ones and again like Sead he doesnt have a website or only has small website with limited list of watches and  if you find one dealer is cheaper than another generally but you cant find the particular watch you want on his site then you will still be able to get that watch from that dealer if you contact the dealer direct and ask him and it will still likely be cheaper

You can find price variations that can average around 40/50 bucks higher or lower and about 15/20 bucks with shipping higher or lower... some dealers advertise discounts like with the current ZF sale and others dont in the hope you buy at the higher price...

It really comes down to getting yourself around the forum and like I said in first post make certain choices about what you want before you hone into which is the better version and best place to buy.. ( I would also suggest you have say a list of 3 that you are looking for as you might find the rep of the watch you want aint great or it might be out of stock etc so its good to have a fallback choice)

The more I type here the more I am feeling like I am answering a "Who has the best sub...?" thread :) ;)

loosely they are abbreviations I guess that are used to differentiate between makers... some makers produce better or lesser reps... all dealers sell these watches (with a few exceptions, but generally speaking) 

Its too much to explain here all the variations... but once you decide on the brand, the model, the budget... you choose the maker (if there is more than one) usually and if you are lucky there will be one maker that stands above the others for your particular watch choice... (or maybe only one, in which case its a no brainer) anyway then you find out with research on here in relevant sections which maker makes the better version and which version is best of them... like V1 or V2 etc... or ZF maker or Noob maker etc

Once you know then go to a few of trusted dealers and see which one you would prefer to buy from in terms of cost of watch and cost of shipping and payment methods to suit... also check reviews of both watch and dealer... if you arent sure when looking over the dealer sites then its easier to email them direct and ask them specifically they will know what your talking about and will get back to you with price and shipping etc as you might want triangle shipping to minimize customs risks etc

Some TDs like Sead have EU stock limited but some decents ones and again like Sead he doesnt have a website or only has small website with limited list of watches and  if you find one dealer is cheaper than another generally but you cant find the particular watch you want on his site then you will still be able to get that watch from that dealer if you contact the dealer direct and ask him and it will still likely be cheaper

You can find price variations that can average around 40/50 bucks higher or lower and about 15/20 bucks with shipping higher or lower... some dealers advertise discounts like with the current ZF sale and others dont in the hope you buy at the higher price...

It really comes down to getting yourself around the forum and like I said in first post make certain choices about what you want before you hone into which is the better version and best place to buy.. ( I would also suggest you have say a list of 3 that you are looking for as you might find the rep of the watch you want aint great or it might be out of stock etc so its good to have a fallback choice)

The more I type here the more I am feeling like I am answering a "Who has the best sub...?" thread ;)

Thanks - and no matter what it just turned in to hopefully it will be helpful for new members still. Excited for the the PO from Andrew.

I've learned a lot through this though, when in ready for the Breitling, and who know maybe a PAM, This Is where I'll come first.