When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 243 date loupe issues

gasebah

Hi guys,

I have a Noob 243 since maybe two years, Somehow in recent weeks the date loupe seems to degrade. The distortion seems higher than it used to be, and I see some odd reflections. It is kind of a "know you see me, now you don't" thing, so I am afraid I cannot even grab it in a picture. I cannot put my finger on it but it seems that the loupe has loosened itself a tad and is somehow floating below the crystal.

The question I have:

Does the Noob take a gen crystal, or is there any good quality after market crystal that will fit the case and date window.

-Alex

Edited by gasebah

Yes gen will fit and I always preferred the H makers cyclops on PAMs but that maybe different now or rather more recently..

The crystal is one piece mate so I am a bit of a loss to explain your issue assuming i understand it that is :)

Have you been to opticians,,, :) Are you sure its not an issue thats always been there and you have only just noticed it or taken more time to study it recently and the perception has grown...I know it sounds daft but the mind and memory can play tricks on you...

The gen cyclops especially the 7mm on later models is very distorting at even the slightest angle... my gens are like that with the cyclops ...though again thats assuming i understand your concerns.. as I might be totally misunderstanding what your saying...

>>Are you sure its not an issue thats always been there and you have only just noticed it or taken more time to study it recently and the perception has grown...I know it sounds daft but the mind and memory can play tricks on you...<<

Thanks Pete! Quite frankly that may well be the case. I have a lot of watches and the PAM 243 did not get much wrist time over the last few months until I rediscovered her lately. I looked into this a few days ago when I suddenly discovered a brown spot in the cyclops area. I wanted to polish it off until I realized that it wasn't a spot but some kind of odd reflection. Since then I have discovered all kinds of irregularities. May be I am only in the process of loosing it. It is hard to not get nuts in this hobby.

>>Are you sure its not an issue thats always been there and you have only just noticed it or taken more time to study it recently and the perception has grown...I know it sounds daft but the mind and memory can play tricks on you...<<

Thanks Pete! Quite frankly that may well be the case. I have a lot of watches and the PAM 243 did not get much wrist time over the last few months until I rediscovered her lately. I looked into this a few days ago when I suddenly discovered a brown spot in the cyclops area. I wanted to polish it off until I realized that it wasn't a spot but some kind of odd reflection. Since then I have discovered all kinds of irregularities. May be I am only in the process of loosing it. It is hard to not get nuts in this hobby.

No mate..that elusive spot is as said a quirk of variations in light and the angle etc sometimes you will think its scratched other times the dial has mark etc etc

The noob crystal aint the best and I aint comparing it by any means to the gen but its a common sort of question or concern asked even by gen owners...

You are right mate. Here is a photo from 2014 that shows exactly what I am talking about. Escapes me why I never noticed it The distortion, yes, but not these strange artifacts. Talking about the dot over the 7.IMG_0249.thumb.JPG.da14abb3e8fa722fe9ad1

Three things strike me while watching this video:

1. The gen has the same feature regarding the strange reflections of the crystal though much less distortion.

2. It is amazing how far the reps have come.

3. It is amazing how some people can talk a full 10 minutes without really saying anything.

Edited by gasebah
  • Like 1