When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice/assistance required with non paying member

astonjenks

For all of you that know me I would like to think I am known for being reasonable, fair and even the word generous might slip in here and there, however can I please ask for your advice as I am being treated really poorly by a fellow member that has been making excuses for some 5 weeks to settle the second payment for a watch I sold to him way back in the first week of August!

The guy said he wanted it and could I wait if he paid me 50%, as I knew (or thought I knew this long standing member) along with others I said sure and sent the watch with 50% payment received on the promise that at month end (August). We've all been there and a littel credit of £300 isnt going to break us so on we go.

Anyway, for teh last 5 weeks I have followed up and requested settlement and even though the watch worked flawlessly following a service, shortly after it arrived I said I would contribute $100 twards a service as it obviously took a knock, 5 weeks on and a couple of messages saying how thrilled he was with the watchm how brilliant it is and Oh, I wll sort it out today, nothing! Not another penny!

I have had a whatsapp reply this week saying he'd been away and would sort it out, that was 2 days ago and nothing. I have told him that unless it is sorted today I will share the entire details and who he is with you guys so you can know of his dealings. That day is today and before I retitre for the evning I will name and shame him, he has about 6 hours!

Sorry to be a pain however you give guys the beneifi tof the doubt and just once in a while they will let you down, this is just one situation I really dislike!

Regards

AJ

Oh man. Sorry to read this. Yes, we've all been there at some point, but if you know things are tight then you shouldn't buy a watch during that time. Sort things out, get yourself caught up, and then buy a watch once your head is above water again.

You went above and beyond to help a brother out, and I raise my glass to you. For that person to take advantage of your generosity is not ok. He should have been in constant contact with you. Hell, maybe he could have worked out additional regular installments if he had just asked and been in communication with you the whole time. That's the problem. People are embarrassed and they wait until the end, after it is too late, instead of opening a dialog at the beginning or even during the decline. I hope this gets resolved amicably and that everyone can save face and remain cordial.

• Like 1

I hate hearing stories like this, especially when it involves real gentlemen such as yourself. Tough situation pal.

Making this post and giving him one last chance before posting his name is an example of the generosity that those who have had dealings with you experience. I guess as a start, if someone was to purchase on credit in the future, the item should not be shipped until all payments are made. Personally, I would not be comfortable asking someone to send me anything if I have not made final payment. To be honest, I live by the adage that if I can't afford something on my own, then I don't need it.

I hope that this all works out and that we don't need to learn this fellow's name. But if we do, then you have made a great public service to this community.

Good luck AJ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this AJ.  We all know you as a stand up guy and you have been more than patient.  At some point you have to set a boundary which you have done.  If he does not respond the community certainly needs to know the details to avoid further issues.  Good luck.  

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this AJ mate, it sucks when someone takes advantage of your good intentions, sucks big time, and I know how you feel, I have a few watches here that customers haven't paid for the work they requested, keep on delaying things, and eventually going awol.  Crazy.

Lets hope this guy comes clean within that six hour period.

You're a very patient man.....    Regardless of how much or little money is involved, I'd have made a stick about it long ago.   Nothing more frustrating then trying to help out a fellow member, only to be screwed.    Maybe MoaB can help exert a bit of pressure on the buyer?

That is a lesson we all learn, over and over again. I won't take any deposits on watches anymore. Never seems to end well. The thing is you're a trusting soul. This time it did not work out. I'm sure you will trust again, and that's ok. I'll bet your life is much better than his. Happier, more successful, and blessed everyday. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys

It has been suggested to let him have today to settle so he has 12 hrs before being named. I am a trusting guy and I'd like to think generous however I do not like being crossed or dupped and that's what is happening here. It wont change me or make me bitter it will effect him though.

Regards

AJ

The thing is you're a trusting soul. This time it did not work out. I'm sure you will trust again, and that's ok.

I doubt anyone could say it better.  There are many among us that are generous, but AJ takes it to an art form.  He gives of himself sacrificially and is the better man for having done so.  Such giving is rarely acknowledged, and almost never returned.  That's not why it is done.  Irregardless how this plays out, he will continue his generosity and continue setting an example for us to follow. 

In the end, this is just money.  Money is not "who" we are, it's "what" we have in our pocket.  It shouldn't define us, and it's not a measuring stick.  When we understand that, it puts life in perspective and the things that truly matter become obvious.  It frees us to be better people.

So, AJ ... I'm sorry that this happened.  Next time you're in Alaska the dinner and drinks are on me.  Thank you for being the fine example that you are.

• Like 3

Why do people do this? AJ, as always you're being more than fair. I hope you don't extend the deadline - sometimes people need to understand that the line must not be crossed. 

If he can't afford the watch he shouldn't have bought it. I suggest he returns it to you in the same condition as he received it, unless of course he pays the outstanding balance very quickly. 

Great gesture sending the watch on a 50% deposit, it can really be a way to help people get what they want, before they later have the money but the watch is gone. The buyer really has to do everything he can do to comply and deeply thank You for the comprehension while now it´s another 4 weeks (a lot if not even a symbolic goodwill payment has been made) over deadline.

• Like 1

Guys as usual I am humbled by your support and understanding. The lines have been crossed and after several messages saying it will be paid or even has been paid since Sept 3rd there has to be a deadline an dthat is today!.

I have several times given 'credit' or time to settle, it's what I do as I know sometimes it's just a timing issue, I will do it again for sure believing in our fellow members trustworthyness and integrity, every now and again there's one bad apple, however all I have asked for is communication and settlement, nothing more.

The watch is a spectacular watch admired and desired by many of you guys and commented upon by leading members here, to be jerked around like this is simply madness by this member!

Regards

AJ

• Like 1

Quick Update

I have today received a copy of a Bank email confirming that a pyment has been set up to b emade to me, I do not know if it is for the full amount or when I might actually receive it as it is in a differnet country/currency. I will let this payment go through next week and call the matter closed.

However should the monies not be received next week then its back to sharing the members details.
Many thanks for all your support guys.

Have a great weeekend

AJ

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I know this member in question. Recently, this same guy wasted 2 weeks of my time, insisting that he made a bank transfer for a watch that he was interested in.

The funds transfer never arrived and he kept making a host of excuses. The watch in question was finally sold to AJ, who is a stand up guy and have no mythical "But the unicorn ate my grandmother" type of excuses when sending payment. 

The buyer is based in Australia, and I would ask the rest of you guys to be careful when dealing with people like that. His modus operandi:

- Sends you a screenshot that he added you as a payee for bank transfer and then claiming that the transfer was done. No screenshot of the transfer (which he could easily have done if funds were sent) and then an assortment of excuses that becomes very painful to listen to.

- Would send paypal immediately if he really wants to buy something. 

Just a heads up guys. This guy can be a major waste of time. 

AJ, you are one of the good guys by a mile, and it always distresses me to see these things happen. One of the things that makes me mad and sad at the same time is this is a great community, and there is a lot of trust here. When someone abrogates that trust, everyone suffers. You as a seller, and other members who find that deals become more difficult. It's impossible to deal with others in these circumstances unless you have a trusting relationship between buyer, seller dealer, repair person, etc. We are buying selling, trading, repairing watches and parts with other folks that are sometimes on the other side of the world. People that in a lot of instances we only know by their forum names. It takes a great deal of trust and reliance on the innate good of a fellow human to send sometimes considerable amounts of money or ship a watch halfway around the globe to a person who you don't know and in most cases will never meet.

I don't know who this "buyer" is, although I have and idea, but no matter who they are, it should be brought out, if for no other reason than to prevent repeat bad behavior. There is no place on this forum for people who prey upon the trust and good nature of other members. As my friend legend said "would send PayPal immediately if he wanted to buy"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk