When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for 3717 franken builder

Zurks

Hi Guys,

I recently got a rep 3717 to see if I'd like it, but now want to put a swiss 7750 in it. I'm looking for a modder to do the work. I saw some mention of Concepta, but don't know how to contact him or even if he's still making those mods. Anybody have any leads or suggestions?

Concepta is gone, and even if he weren't, he wasn't the modder.

Keep in mind, the A7750 hands need to be modified to work (unless you have a very old 21.6k movement). Also make sure you use the ETA day and date wheels.

In the US, you have several choices. Personally I would reach out to to member "misieped" and see if he can do what you need. PBDad is another choice, but he has an outside watchsmith that would probably do the work (which means it could take longer), or go to Vaccum (aka Vac's Modification Shop) if you also want the dial re-lumed,

• Like 1

Will Gen crown/tube work with a7750 or just swiss? I just found one of those too.

Gen crown/tube works with both a7750 and swiss because they both fit with the tap10 stem.

However, a gen crown only works with a gen tube (inside thread).  Conversely, a rep crown only works with a rep tube (outside thread). 

• 1 month later...

I'm just getting into the rep world and I'd like to know what it costs for a Franken IWC 3717.  I'm buying one from a TD and if I like it I may want to at least convert the A7750 to an ETA or Valjuen.

It sounds like an interesting project.  I'd like to start out buying one and then learn the craft myself.

Thanks for any advice or insight.

Thanks!

Gen crown needs a gen tube.

I'm just getting into the rep world and I'd like to know what it costs for a Franken IWC 3717.  I'm buying one from a TD and if I like it I may want to at least convert the A7750 to an ETA or Valjuen.

It sounds like an interesting project.  I'd like to start out buying one and then learn the craft myself.

Thanks for any advice or insight.

Thanks!

Depends on what gen IWC parts you wish to add. Cost for crown and tube you can see via link above. Dial, hands, datewheel etc will add some extra $$$ - if you can source.

A fresh ETA 7750 should be about $400, if buying used you might need to add funds for service. If you want a gen IWC movement instead ("7750 based") that should be up to $1000. Note - imo there's nothing wrong with the a7750, given I can use money for something else instead.

As always with frankens, there's really no limit to what you can spend - after some time collecting you might realize you've spent more than a used gen costs...

Back in the day when gen parts were relatively available a franken build (gen dial, hands, crystal, datewheel, crown, tube, ETA 7750) would cost $1700 - $2000 to obtain.

Now the parts aren't accessible except maybe Scotchwatch (since his prices are insanely inflated) it'll cost much more.

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone tell me please..........

does the rep case needs any modification before it can be swapped with a gen movement and gen crown (with gen tube of course)??

p.s. sorry to jump on your thread but I'm on the same route as you.

No, no modification is needed to fit in an ETA 7750 or IWC 79320. Only the hands (the holes in the hands) differ: 

Genuine ETA 7750 all variants (all)

Hour 2.00mm
Minute 1.20mm
Center Seconds 0.25mm
Subdials 0.17mm

Old Asian 7750 version all variants(21,600 BPH)

Hour 2.00mm
Minute 1.20mm
Center Seconds 0.25mm
Subdials 0.17mm

New Asian 7750 (28,800 BPH) Normal ones 

Hour 2.00mm
Minute 1.20mm
Center Seconds 0.20mm
Subdial 0.20mm

No, no modification is needed to fit in an ETA 7750 or IWC 79320. Only the hands (the holes in the hands) differ: 

Hour 2.00mm
Minute 1.20mm
Center Seconds 0.25mm
Subdials 0.17mm

Hour 2.00mm
Minute 1.20mm
Center Seconds 0.25mm
Subdials 0.17mm

Hour 2.00mm
Minute 1.20mm
Center Seconds 0.20mm
Subdial 0.20mm

Thanks for putting this together. Great info. appreciated. 

now which TD has the best version of 3717-02 (white dial)?

I like this than the black dial simply because there are rare and classy especially with tan/brown leather strap. Look around your collection I am sure 90% are in dark/black dials.

• 2 weeks later...

Hour 2.00mm
Minute 1.20mm
Center Seconds 0.25mm
Subdials 0.17mm

Hour 2.00mm
Minute 1.20mm
Center Seconds 0.25mm
Subdials 0.17mm

Hour 2.00mm
Minute 1.20mm
Center Seconds 0.20mm
Subdial 0.20mm

Depending on which data source you use the ETA sub dial hands are either 0.17 or 0.18 and the Asian hands, at 0.20mm, will be too loose to fit the ETA spindles. However, the Asian centre secs can normally be broached to suit the ETA, so only the sub dial hands are needed. There is an Ebay source for these which I am going to try for mine, which has an ETA 7750 already.

I have A 3717 with Gen dial gen hands gen movement and correct AR'd crystal, Id be possibly interested in selling for the right price.. I paid over $2k for it from someone who had concepta build it for him. I have had it for two years now and has been serviced by an IWC licensed watchsmith with no suspision :p

• Like 1