When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 15400 on trusty

denimhead

I just received my JF 15400 and I must say after owning two TF versions (A2824 and Miyota), the JF has the best attention to finishing details and case tolerances. JF has a lot of AP experience. The recessed screws are spot on, the lines are as good as gen, the dial detail is more accurate than gen, while the tapisserie indeed is smaller, it is highly detailed moreso than TF and V6F.   The dial pops much more and the watch feels better quality.  Both of my TF watches had different issues that wouldn't be found in gen watches (the case lines didn't match the bezel/midcase/caseback), the cases had differing levels of assymetry and irregular fit.  The bracelet was very flexible and I'm afraid more so than the JF version although the JF finish is great.  The thickness is not as bad as V6F, but I have not personally measured it yet.

As far as the screws on the clasp, it appears that JF purchased a watch and while the screws are incorrect to the TF version, they are correct to the latest iterations of the 15400, so the clasp is in fact correct.  I personally would not buy another TF 15400, 2 was enough and they both disappointed me personally by having fit and finish issues.  The BP case looks nice too but the dial and movement are off. The movement was undecorated which would never be the case with an AP.  At least the Miyota TF and A2824 were very nicely decorated.

• Like 1

the dial detail is more accurate than genbr /> 

Wow really? I hope that AP could rep the JF version one day then :lol:

But seriously I agree that in terms of overall finishing, JF is better. But it just has flaws that are egregious to me. To each their own. As long as you enjoy your watch, and share your thoughts with the community sincerely, it is much appreciated. :)

Message crafted while wrestling a juvenile crocodile that's unwilling to be captured and made into leather

Yes, that is what I just researched.  My dealer will have a Blue TF in tomorrow for review.  I wanted white as I thought that was the best dial.  Do you have a Blue dial TF....is it very good to excellent?  I have read that the AP Blue is the most difficult to replicate..thus some debate as to it being an ultimate tell.  As an aside, I offered to 'take' a Patek 5711 Nautilus in Blue or White with the decorated bridges as a replacement.  Thiose two are out of stock too. Bummer.  I expect to receive a few photos of the TF version tomorrow.  Thoughts on Blue over White from TF?

Edited by mule play

Wow really? I hope that AP could rep the JF version one day then :lol:

But seriously I agree that in terms of overall finishing, JF is better. But it just has flaws that are egregious to me. To each their own. As long as you enjoy your watch, and share your thoughts with the community sincerely, it is much appreciated. :)

Message crafted while wrestling a juvenile crocodile that's unwilling to be captured and made into leather

Lol yeah Idk how I put that the dial detail is better than gen.  I meant it is better than TF. :D woops

Yes, that is what I just researched.  My dealer will have a Blue TF in tomorrow for review.  I wanted white as I thought that was the best dial.  Do you have a Blue dial TF....is it very good to excellent?  I have read that the AP Blue is the most difficult to replicate..thus some debate as to it being an ultimate tell.  As an aside, I offered to 'take' a Patek 5711 Nautilus in Blue or White with the decorated bridges as a replacement.  Thiose two are out of stock too. Bummer.  I expect to receive a few photos of the TF version tomorrow.  Thoughts on Blue over White from TF?

I had a blue dial TF and I can say that I enjoyed it more than the white TF.  The blue dial was magical although indeed different than gen. I think the JF blue is closer, although perhaps nicer, deeper, than the gen so not quite accurate either.

As far as V6F and TF I believe the dials are the same.  Someone has said the bracelets are the same as well--and that is a very nice bracelet if you get one that is symmetric (I got one that was mismatched on one side of the case on my TF).  I like the TF bracelet flexibility better than JF.

V6F case shape is better than TF, but it's thicker my a millimeter and change.  As far as dials... despite the tappiserie size (accurate for other Royal Oaks not this one) being too small, it feels gen-like.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

ATTENTION PLEASE!

Gents, I am keen on a white 15400, read a lot, saw many of your QC pics.

But what I saw today shocked me - on several sites of our dealers, I realized that the movement decoration on the JF makers model reads "PIGUBT" instead of "PIGUET"....

can anyone confirm this?

On Toro's TF Maker pics it reads correct PIGUET : http://www.torobravos.xyz/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=15400&product_id=958

here are the questions: is it just my eyes, or is the Miyota JF really misspelled?

Also the TF seems to be thinner (10mm), cheaper, correct decoration on movement and should therefore be the better choice? I know that the overall finish is said to be better on the JF's, but PIGUBT is a dead giveway...

can you pls check and support?

many thanks, J

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

Since I started to read the AP threads I have developed a liking for the 15400 and 15450. I assume many of the fit and finish mods that are done on divers and Off Shore models could be done on these? Is it within the bounds of possibility to buy a genuine dial and fit it?

• 2 months later...

image.jpeg

This is my JF 15400, quality wise nothing to complain about, movement keeping pretty great time even with occasional wearing time, bracelet and general construction feels solid, comfortable and overall good. Decoration of miyota is pretty close although nobody in the know could ever be fooled in thinking it's the real deal, jewels look made out of plastic, rg rotor looks off all in all a remarkable attempt imho and flaws you can live with.

Bezel screws nice and sunken, polished details pretty good, date is perfectly centred but date font is wrong.

Tapisserie on the dial is too small, the dial in mine has a couple of printing issues with the white markers at 46 min and at 59 min and 1 o'clock marker a little crooked. Xtal and AR is very good.

Lume is strong but last too little. Thickness is still a bit generous but nothing major the watch doesn't feel bulk.

Put a gen rotor (or close back if you don't care) and a gen dial and you are good to go :bangin: if you want to invest 3k+ to franken it up...gen dials are virtually impossible to find but from time to time on  Ebay a miracle could happen...