When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Outgoing package held t US Customs

dpap

Has this happened to anyone? I sent my watch out to JJ for modding, but it seems that it is being held at customs in the US for more than three weeks. 

I did not realize this could happen. This really sucks, because the parts list was worth about a grand...

Product & Tracking Information

Postal Product:

• Priority Mail International Parcels

Features:

• Delivery Confirmation International

DATE & TIME
STATUS OF ITEM

Held in US Customs

Your item is being held in US Customs for further inspection.

September 21, 2015 , 11:45 pm

Arrived at USPS Facility

CHICAGO, IL 60666 

Ok, I just spoke with JJ, everything arrived safely. Phew! It seems it got held up but then released and the USPS website never got updated...

I did copy paste the tracking info. I sent priority flat rate small box, it uninsured and declared a value of $50 if I recall.

I really hope this is not the new norm...

I believe that sometimes when you ship priority mail , and you don't insure the watch, it sets off alarm bells with customs. They know that no one ships expensive genuine watches with no insurance. I think that you should insure for 200-300 USD and write on the customs declaration " broken timepiece for repair and return to sender". A broken watch is not nearly as valuable as a running watch, so it should get less scrutiny.

Good that everything turned out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is a few months old, but yesterday, i shipped a generic smartwatch (head only) back to a dealer in china using First Class (cheapest).  The watch is unbranded - no company logos nothing.  Well today looking at the tracking, i received the same status as OP regarding being held bu US custons for further inspection.

Im pretty sure since i was shipping to china, that could have set off a red flag?  But since the head was shipped by itself again unbranded, no logos, could customs confiscate?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I ordered a skincare product that I've ordered before - nothing controversial, just an eye cream - and it's now being "held in customs".  This is the second time the merchant has shipped my second order.  I received the first order just fine, but never the second, so the second was reshipped.  Now it's being held in customs for some idiot reason.  Probably they're both there 'til God knows when.  Maybe they'll stay in customs forever.  

This is a new one in me. I have never heard of US Customs seizing a package outbound.
I never gave it much thought, but I was always under the impression they only were concerned with inbound packages.
I do know that Customs and Immigration are setting up shop in foreign airports. This gives them the opportunity to vet passengers and baggage before they get on flights to the USA. Been going on for some time at airports in Canada and Bahamas. My wife and I cleared passport control and customs in both Montreal and Nassau in the past two years. Flights back to the US are treated same as domestic flights, normal gates and no further checks. Still can't figure out why they would check outbound packages though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk