When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Superfranken 16613

QueTip

Thought I'd share some pics and specs of my latest (second) TT build. As I've sold my old one which I regret badly. 

Specs:

TC v6 case set (drilled lugs)

Gen dial

Gen hands

Gen insert

Gen datedisc

Gen crystal

Gen clasp

Gen crown

Yuki3135 (gen cal3135 to come!)

ST 18k bezelring

ST 18k EndLinks

ST 18k bracelet 

gSDQcdS.jpg
NbSTvUU.jpg
xHjuzqp.jpg
bWPllTE.jpg

OPrPZ83.jpg

Very nice build man.  One of my favorite models.  Beautiful t25 dial you have there.  One little detail.  You may want to think about putting a micro bevel/chamfer on the lugs of the case.  These models had just a small chamfer on them.  This is my A serial 1999, so even the Swiss Made Dials had a small chamfer on them.  

1999 16613 Side.jpg

Very nice build man.  One of my favorite models.  Beautiful t25 dial you have there.  One little detail.  You may want to think about putting a micro bevel/chamfer on the lugs of the case.  These models had just a small chamfer on them.  This is my A serial 1999, so even the Swiss Made Dials had a small chamfer on them. 

Loving yours! Yeah, I'll approach this one soon. Will also give the case a little tear to have a few scratches and stuff to be better looking for it's 'age'.

The dial is probs the best part of the whole build, it's a mint 10/10 Singer 16613 dial. (one of very very few) (big $$$)  

Expensive! Why not pay a grand extra and buy a gen?

I've been at this point, went only gen watches and then came back to building. It's more fun to me than just owning the watch.

To me it's about sourcing the parts, handpicking the parts that mate up together best and grow a bigger connection to the piece. It adds history to a watch imo..

• Like 2

I've been at this point, went only gen watches and then came back to building. It's more fun to me than just owning the watch.

To me it's about sourcing the parts, handpicking the parts that mate up together best and grow a bigger connection to the piece. It adds history to a watch imo..

Good point! Completely agree with you.

• Like 1

You did good at that price, especially with that dial.  Decent gens are more like 6.5-7.5K range now days.  Only beat up pieces I see for <6K.  

Yeah, I agree. The dial is worth way more (probs atleast double) than I paid for it. The whole build turned out to be in a decent price class.. 

I didn't add up parts I scrapped to those 4.5k though. 

I also think you can build a watch you like better than the gen. I have a Franken 3717 put together and I'd take it over the all gen every time.

I also think you can build a watch you like better than the gen. I have a Franken 3717 put together and I'd take it over the all gen every time.

Same man. If one offered me a gen 16613 (in this case) for my build, I'd thankfully decline the offer.

This one is one of my baby's and it's staying in the family now..

Agree guys, builds are more fun/rewarding and you can pick the parts to make it exactly like you want.  However, better plan on keeping it......resale for high end frankens is tough unless you want to part it out and it is a shame to tear down a beautiful piece.

Also buying a vintage gen is a lot different than buying a new one from the store.  In many cases it takes just as much time and effort to find what you are looking for.  Been shopping multiple sites and sources daily for a long time looking for a 5513.       

Agree guys, builds are more fun/rewarding and you can pick the parts to make it exactly like you want.  However, better plan on keeping it......resale for high end frankens is tough unless you want to part it out and it is a shame to tear down a beautiful piece.

Also buying a vintage gen is a lot different than buying a new one from the store.  In many cases it takes just as much time and effort to find what you are looking for.  Been shopping multiple sites and sources daily for a long time looking for a 5513.      

Couldn't agree with you more, especially the part about the difficulty selling a franken. In my 12-13 years on this and other rep forums, I have seen beautiful watches that were a work of love sit on the sales forums for months, lots of posts, lots of "tire kickers" and lowballers, but no one buying. In fact I got completely out of reps back a little over 10 years ago, got very disillusioned and somewhat bitter because folks couldn't understand why I was asking 900.00 USD for a 500 USD MBW 1680 with another 500 -600 USD in genuine parts!! Sold em' all and quit for a couple of years.

I will say that is a beautiful example of a 11613. Matt built one for me a couple of years ago, ST case, gen dial, insert, Crown, ST 18k bezel and the bracelet from the TW best that I started with (Only part I used from the original watch)!!

Mine says hello

Genuine_1.thumb.jpg.8b50a2f04ef985319c8a

Couldn't agree with you more, especially the part about the difficulty selling a franken. In my 12-13 years on this and other rep forums, I have seen beautiful watches that were a work of love sit on the sales forums for months, lots of posts, lots of "tire kickers" and lowballers, but no one buying. In fact I got completely out of reps back a little over 10 years ago, got very disillusioned and somewhat bitter because folks couldn't understand why I was asking 900.00 USD for a 500 USD MBW 1680 with another 500 -600 USD in genuine parts!! Sold em' all and quit for a couple of years.

I will say that is a beautiful example of a 11613. Matt built one for me a couple of years ago, ST case, gen dial, insert, Crown, ST 18k bezel and the bracelet from the TW best that I started with (Only part I used from the original watch)!!

Mine says hello

Genuine_1.thumb.jpg.8b50a2f04ef985319c8a2f6524483798.jpg

You're totally right with all the above!

Loving your TT, how has the gold on the bracelet held up? Or were the TW ones solid gold? I can't remember really lol :D

You're totally right with all the above!

Loving your TT, how has the gold on the bracelet held up? Or were the TW ones solid gold? I can't remember really lol :D

Thanks, I really like it. I guess the only addition would be a misiekped serviced yuki 3135 (although I'm not sure it will fit in this ST case as it's for the older 3035), genuine hands and date disk.

The old TW best bracelets are "wrapped gold" Matt gold plated the sides of the endlinks which removed that big tell. Thus far it  has held up very well. I don't wear it every day, but it does get worn fairly frequently.

Thanks, I really like it. I guess the only addition would be a misiekped serviced yuki 3135 (although I'm not sure it will fit in this ST case as it's for the older 3035), genuine hands and date disk.

The old TW best bracelets are "wrapped gold" Matt gold plated the sides of the endlinks which removed that big tell. Thus far it  has held up very well. I don't wear it every day, but it does get worn fairly frequently.

Aw nice.

The ST case accepts the Yuki. Oh okay.. Bracelet appears to be in really good condition..

I've seen WM9 bracelets screw up fairly fast..