When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 Crystal retaining ring; Pls help/need advice

Nightwatch

So I finally received a perfectly sized 31,09mm flatter replacement plexi - but managed to just break the original one by pressing from the inside. Reglue or replace (and how?)

I still don´t get out the retaining ring nor can I loosen it with a carpet knife or caseback opener (and I´m not sure which the retaining ring is).

Where exactly should I start to push from the outside or inside and where? This is a Cartel 5513, all rings are metal. If I just stop and don´t do anything more, I´d be able to just reglue the one that was in as it´s an irregular but even break all around and it can´t be seen if the bezel assembly goes back on.

Just might add, I don´t have a crystal press either, as I like to use tools I´m able to find around the house. The original idea was to press it in using a miniature anvil that has rubber protectors on the borders.

I´m feeling lost here and missing the watch, please help.

5IMG_8212_zps7ni81nmq.jpg5IMG_8215_zpsvcnew8f3.jpg

5IMG_8215coption_zpsgkppp7ig.jpg

Case knife opener is too thick. Use a razor blade like this:

039c9e416eeae0e05768e5793b3be12d.jpg

Wedge it in from one side and slowly work your way around. Just don't cut yourself. It's the easiest and cheapest way. I've installed and replaced retaining rings in a hotel room with no press at all using the edge of a wooden table. Anyhow. Good luck.

• Like 1

To remove the retaining ring you need to insert a thin blade between the case and where you have marked "option 1". Slowly work the blade around the ring and case applying pressure and leveraging upwards. Once the gap is large enough, you can use the case back opener (or penknife blade) to lever the retaining off.

• Like 1

Once you do that and get the ring off, the broken bits should come with it. Clean them and the case up and it's easy to slide the new crystal down over the "lip" on the case. Then press the ring back down over the crystal to squeeze it in place.

Beware there are at least 3 different sizes for tropic 19 crystals, varying by very small amounts. The right one will be a snug thumb press down over the lip, the others will be sloppy loose or "no way in hell is this thing going on that case".

what i ALWAYS use to separate the retaining ring from the case is this

snap back watch case opener
128525303_watch-case-back-opening-tool-k

AND a watch makers hammer

dual-head-watch-hammer-tool-43344.jpg

tape around the case as much as possible using electrical tape, turn the case on its side, insert the sharp edge of the opener between the ring and the case and gently tap with the small hammer, work your way around the case and it comes off, unwarped and no case damage as long as you tape it up a bit.

to press crystals this is my preferred method. cheap and very effective

1 1/2" polyester adapter from home depot with a flat nylon disc

6804803712_33b7a7bc38_n.jpg

in a taped up bench vise, turn slowly and press, keep it straight.

6950916963_59e4d6a872_n.jpg

just make sure the crystal isnt too tight for the case beforehand, or it will crack and you may not even notice

• Like 2

what i ALWAYS use to separate the retaining ring from the case is this

snap back watch case opener

128525303_watch-case-back-opening-tool-knife-opener-wrist-watches-.jpg

AND a watch makers hammer

dual-head-watch-hammer-tool-43344.jpg

tape around the case as much as possible using electrical tape, turn the case on its side, insert the sharp edge of the opener between the ring and the case and gently tap with the small hammer, work your way around the case and it comes off, unwarped and no case damage as long as you tape it up a bit.

to press crystals this is my preferred method. cheap and very effective

1 1/2" polyester adapter from home depot with a flat nylon disc

6804803712_33b7a7bc38_n.jpg

in a taped up bench vise, turn slowly and press, keep it straight.

6950916963_59e4d6a872_n.jpg

just make sure the crystal isnt too tight for the case beforehand, or it will crack and you may not even notice

Great tips!

• 4 months later...

Revisited to update with pics. Did this a long time ago, the razorblade/Stanley tip worked on the next day like a charm and from there it was easy to work around. The new WSO T19 worked on the first try (pushed carefully down with the thumb)  than repressed the holding ring with a plastic bottle cap first. The end result for my intended budget build needs was beyond fantastic and it gets a lot of wristtime. Thanks All:)

DSC_2925c_zpsbffhvisc.jpg

DSC_2745_zpsga2wficq.jpg

DSC_2639_zpsiqssgaoe.jpg

DSC_3461QWQc_zps8etvzw7h.jpg

• Like 1