When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Phong is now selling eta stuffs

cc33

Thanks for the great info. So it sounds like the movement swap would have to be something that I did after the fact, and the dial feet would need to be clipped.

Down the road you could always source better hands for a gen movement, get a gen movement, a dial from the nameless one, a gen insert and crown, and have an amazing small crown super franken.

If you look close at the examples of these he has on his site, the date windows seem to be in the ETA datewheel position. So, if you were to buy one of these and wanted to replace with a rolex movement you'll need a new dial.

l_eta-1665-8.jpg

Note the "13" looks more eta than rolex to me...

**edit damned iPhone*** The date window is all wrong on this one and it looks like the Yuki ETA stuff. Not sexy at all

Edited by Ephry73

The 5508 case is nice but the dial looks like a matt service dial with white print not gilt relief. I have no idea what yuki's looks like but Minh would be the one to talk to for dials.. Unless of course you want to remortgage your house and buy a certain gen like gilt dial and use a 1530 mvmt..

• Like 1

The 5508 case is nice but the dial looks like a matt service dial with white print not gilt relief. I have no idea what yuki's looks like but Minh would be the one to talk to for dials.. Unless of course you want to remortgage your house and buy a certain gen like gilt dial and use a 1530 mvmt..

My bad. I went back to Yuki's site and he has 6536, 6538, and 5510 dials for gen movements but not 5508.

Dials to fit ETA are even more limited. For no crown guard subs he only has a 6538.

Like you said, Minh is probably the best option. I'm just thinking something inexpensive to age and use as a place holder. Can you clip the feet on one of the gen feet dials and use that with an ETA? I know that both the 6536 and 5508 share the same depth rating. The dials both look similar to me.

I'm not getting one of these anytime soon. I'm just thinking through possibilities for future reference.

• 5 weeks later...

The 5508 option looks pretty sweet! I think that's the one I'd get. It comes with an ETA 2824. Is it an easy swap to go from a 2824 to a low beat 2846? The 2824 can then be saved for another build. Woot! Woot!

that's what I bought and exactly what I intend to doing in the future.

Edited by Sogeha
Autocorrect!!!!
  • Like 1

Cool! Can you share some pics and maybe a review after you receive it? Would love to hear your thoughts on it. emoji2.png

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Sure I can. I think I'll open a new topic though rather than hijack this thread. In the meantime that's it in my avatar.

The 5508 option looks pretty sweet! I think that's the one I'd get. It comes with an ETA 2824. Is it an easy swap to go from a 2824 to a low beat 2846? The 2824 can then be saved for another build. Woot! Woot!

Another option is to swap in a 2846 balance wheel, escape wheel and pallet fork -- these parts all drop in and you end up with a low beat 2824. I did this years ago on my AP diver. It's a straightforward swap. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

Another option is to swap in a 2846 balance wheel, escape wheel and pallet fork -- these parts all drop in and you end up with a low beat 2824. I did this years ago on my AP diver. It's a straightforward swap. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

That's an awesome solution! Are those parts easily obtained?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I like that idea, thank you for sharing. Posts like that are why this forum is so addictive.

That's an awesome solution! Are those parts easily obtained?

Yes and no -- simple enough to obtain off a 2846, and you can swap the 2824 parts back onto the 2846 to create what is effectively a 2836 with 2846 markings... but you still need to source a 2846 from somewhere.

Here's the thread

https://rwg.cc/topic/154653-ap-diver-with-low-beat-2824-success

How do phong's complete watches compare to TCs?

is there much difference? If so, what are the differences?

i don't see them as competing. TC sells YM, LN and LV as far as I know that's all. I read good reports on his watches and would like one. Phong does list 16610 cases, but his prices mean you will probably be half way to the price of a gen when you finish. In my opinion that doesn't make sense, I'd buy a gen. For me where Phong stuff makes some sense is vintage stuff. It's possible to make a very good replication for a fraction of the gen price.

This is just my view on how I would spend my money. If anyone does build a Phong 16610 I'd love to see it.