When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona and t-21 versus t-22

droptopman

Good morning, 

looking for a little help.  A friend asked about changing his dome plexi on his 6263 to a flat top.  I am not well schooled but it is my understanding the t21 is domed and the t22 is the flat top.  Also my understanding that the inner diameter is the same on both plexi's, but the outer diameter is not.  When we did my 1016 build, I wanted a domed t21 and we used a different bezel than the bezel that worked with the t22.  I assume this would be the same case for the Daytona.  If he wants to go with a t22 would he need a different bezel also?

Anyone help me with this?

To make it more specific, droptop's friend also wants to get a watchny bezel and insert as well...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281739316447?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So the question, then, is whether or not a flat top (beveled) T22 would work with the NY bezel as opposed to the more rounded T21, assuming the bezel assembly is gen spec (I believe LHOOQ used this on his V72 build). By the way, the case is a DW.

What jmb said.  Also note that both T21 and T22 (and a whole mess of other crystals) were originally domes before becoming flatter, faceted crystals in later years.  Rolex being Rolex, it makes no distinction between the two types in its nomenclature.

Ish: Using a T22 on a Daytona would require a tremendous amount of trimming of the bezel's inner edge.  Far better to use one of the many aftermarket T21 options.  

Thank you for clearing that up.  Glad I asked because I had it wrong.  So a genuine service t21 sounds like the one.  A service will be more of a flat top.  My t21 is an original old school dome.  That is where I was confused.  I had a DW 6263 with a genuine flat top plexi and mistakenly assumed it was a t22 because of the flat top, but I bet it was a gen service t 21.    

What jmb said.  Also note that both T21 and T22 (and a whole mess of other crystals) were originally domes before becoming flatter, faceted crystals in later years.  Rolex being Rolex, it makes no distinction between the two types in its nomenclature.

Ish: Using a T22 on a Daytona would require a tremendous amount of trimming of the bezel's inner edge.  Far better to use one of the many aftermarket T21 options.  

Brilliant, thanks M! So in the end it appears a $6 Clark 25-21 will do the trick. Or perhaps I bin the whole thing and build a v72? Spent another hour last night consuming "That Big Red Freshness" again :)

And Mark I'm betting yours was a gen service T21 as well. But I'll take your advice and go with the dome.

Thanks all!