When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Speedmaster Apollo 13 Silver Snoopy Award LE

Pontiaddict

A little bit of whimsy mixed with an equal part of history yields the 2015 Omega Speedmaster Apollo 13 Silver Snoopy Award Limited Edition.

For those not aware, Snoopy, the dog from Charles Schulz's pop comic strip Peanuts, was co-opted by NASA as their safety mascot for the Apollo program. The Silver Snoopy award was given out by NASA to those who contributed towards the safety and success of the Apollo missions. In 1970, Omega was awarded the Silver Snoopy for their role in the Apollo program and this new Omega Speedmaster Apollo 13 Silver Snoopy Award Limited Edition watch commemorates their role and the eventual safe return of the Apollo crew on April 17th, 1970.

This model is quartz and wears a little larger than the 43.5mm of the Gen, but it is all about the smiles it generates both  from the wearer and those that take the time to notice... sadly the weakest part is the lume, I was hoping for a much brighter snoopy.

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

Real life overnight observations:

First the lume is not bad... not nearly as bad as the awful low-light  iPhone pic infers. (I will attach the original dealers photo for reference) 

At 2:00 am the lume was brilliant across the face, the minute markers, hour & minute hands and yes especially Snoopy, three hours later at 5:00 am the minute markers were still visible albeit barely, the hour & minute hands were easily readable and Snoopy still had his ear detail visible! So, while it will never be used by Commissioner Gordon to summon a certain Dark Knight, it is on par with my Tudor BB and better than some of my early PO models.

Second, size matters. Earlier I wrote the Gen is 43.5mm and that was a mistake, the Gen is a 42mm model while the bezel of this watch is just over 44mm and the (very nice rubberized Nylon) strap is 22mm. Therefore it wears substantially larger than a Gen yet noticeably smaller than a 45mm PO.

The caseback with the Snoopy Award is wonderfully done, in silver and enamel it looks awesome in close-up detail. The Gen Silver Snoopy Award watch also features a lumed tachymetre scale which would be a nice touch for a Ver. 2. 

omega Snoopy lume.jpg

Edited by Pontiaddict

A word of Caution:

After wearing Snoopy for one week my wrist under the watch became sensitive, followed by some blistering.  I have had the watch off for two days now and the blister/redness continues, the appearance is most like a minor burn.  I hate to place blame but can think of no other source for the irritation.  The disc on the caseback may or may not be a crystal, it feels soft.

I will only wear the watch again with a crystal protector in place. 

That is my personal experience, yours may differ.

Edited by Pontiaddict

• 2 weeks later...

A word of Caution:

After wearing Snoopy for one week my wrist under the watch became sensitive, followed by some blistering.  I have had the watch off for two days now and the blister/redness continues, the appearance is most like a minor burn.  I hate to place blame but can think of no other source for the irritation.  The disc on the caseback may or may not be a crystal, it feels soft.

I will only wear the watch again with a crystal protector in place. 

That is my personal experience, yours may differ.

That's a bugger :(

There are plenty of cheap crystal protectors on eBay for only a few $. Maybe get one and try again?

That's a bugger :(

There are plenty of cheap crystal protectors on eBay for only a few $. Maybe get one and try again?

Thanks, I have worn the watch since posting, several times in fact, I had quite a few of those crystal protectors on different watches in my box... so, I loosened the watch on the wrist and leave a protector in place while wearing, the result, no further issues.

Not sure of the initial cause, I never had it before and I have not had it since, but the coincidence was undeniable. I have wondered if possibly there was a chemical (cleaning agent) on the watch when it arrived? cleaning and wearing the watch seems to have overcome the issue, I just wanted to make others aware.

Resting at ISC NY since the 14th.

I checked my history, 4 days @ISC... so maybe today you will get your update! 

BTW–I posted above regards a skin issue and would suggest you clean the watch with a mild agent before wearing*, just a quick rub down should be sufficient. Enjoy, it is a beautiful watch.

* ie soap&water (sparingly) or your favorite