When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Tudor PCG 1961 – Build

Kime

...and some issued watches have no markings at all. My 6536/1 is from its original owner, a spec ops diver to whom it was issued. There are no engravings other than the usual. He told me it was a form of currency in case they got in trouble and needed money to get home.

It is amazing to think of all the places that case might have seen. It also make me wonder what ever became of Dewey. It looks like the watch spent a major portion of its life being well used by him or maybe it was used to get him out of hoc. Would be really cool to know more of the back story after Burma.

...and some issued watches have no markings at all. My 6536/1 is from its original owner, a spec ops diver to whom it was issued. There are no engravings other than the usual. He told me it was a form of currency in case they got in trouble and needed money to get home.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of the reason why pretty much all of our vintage part dealers are from Vietnam (plus the fact that the economy/country was shut off from the rest of the world).

Kime,

Great pick up, hope you got a good price, looking forward to see finished product.

I am wondering Is the dial that you show in the first post the questionable dial you say is fake? I am staring at my 7928 and my dial looks a lot like that. If my dial is a fake my dealer is going to be in a load of trouble tomorrow. I've attached an image of my 7928 that's supposed to be 100% genuine for reference.

Dmitry

image.jpeg

Edited by Rolex5512

I wouldn't polish or touch it at all. A proper gilt chapter ring dial will set you back quite a bit, but like I said, this is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the problem, the MK1 dials are impossible to find. In about 7+ months I gave up and bought this one as posted.

Kime,

Great pick up, hope you got a good price, looking forward to see finished product.

I am wondering Is the dial that you show in the first post the questionable dial you say is fake? I am staring at my 7928 and my dial looks a lot like that. If my dial is a fake my dealer is going to be in a load of trouble tomorrow. I've attached an image of my 7928 that's supposed to be 100% genuine for reference.

Dmitry

No, you read that wrong... the dial that came with it was a fake (a terrible one at that) the one I posted is a genuine dial but incorrect for this age of watch which is 61-62. The dial I posted is a MK IV, it would have been a few years later, not much later probably something like 63-64 onwards. Yours could be a MK3 or a MK4.

I can't find a better reference page for these PCGs/dials right now, anyone got one?

Tudor collector has some text but its very brief and with no example pics.

http://tudorcollector.com/subs/submariner-model-7928/

No, you read that wrong... the dial that came with it was a fake (a terrible one at that) the one I posted is a genuine dial but incorrect for this age of watch which is 61-62. The dial I posted is a MK IV, it would have been a few years later, not much later probably something like 63-64 onwards. Yours could be a MK3 or a MK4.

I can't find a better reference page for these PCGs/dials right now, anyone got one?

Tudor collector has some text but its very brief and with no example pics.

http://tudorcollector.com/subs/submariner-model-7928/

thanks for that info Kime. Had a mini coronary last night. Mine is 66-67 so mkIV-V makes sense. 

Tudor info is very scarce I've tried searching for info many times. 

Dmitry