When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1016 Dial any thoughts?

Blindpirat

Hi Mates,

This dial have been offered to me by respectful member of one of the Gen Forums. 

I'm still thinking font and coronet looks a bit strange to me I don't want to say "not Gen" just a bit odd. 

I never have seen any like this, I thought that It's Frog dial..

Help to come closer to 1016 dream build!

Do you have any thoughts? Please share.

Cheers,

BP

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Blindpirat
Ammended mistakes

Blindpirat, this looks like a nice service dial.

To my eyes the "face" looks quite nice.

The rear part of the plate looks strange according to my data base and knowledge of what I've seen the last years. This does not mean that the dial is gen or refinished. There may be that one version that was sold as shown.

Nevertheless whenever I saw that particular face, the back looked like this:

original-vintage-rolex-explorer-i-ref-101980s-Lumi-Explorer-Service-dial-04.thumExplorer-1016-Service-Dial-Hands---Genui

The shown engraving in the initial post with the star is somewhat unknown to me.

Here some refs of a  dial plate of a frog foot service dial, which has a specific serial number with a star in it (Stern manufacturer?):

rolex_explorer_3___6___9_dial_1016_1_lgwrolex_explorer_3___6___9_dial_1016_3_lgw

There were gilt 1016 dials with a similar engraving, though a different initial number and again all symbols and digits are in one line:

screenshot-www_tswisst_de_2015-11-08_14-screenshot-www_tswisst_de_2015-11-08_14-

If you look in detail the dial feet on the ref images of all the gen dials, they all are connected seamlessly to the dial plate, there are no concentrically brushed areas in the dial feet basis like in your offerd dial.

I would say, if you have a low price offer like around 300$, 300Euro or 200 Pounds, or can get as low as this you may take that dial. Though a higher price point would have to be reconsidered with the information shown above.

Should you look to build a top notch 1016, then you'd be ready to pay a higher price and should get a 100% sure to be gen offer, in NOS condition.

The decision is on your side.

Good luck!