When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Daily Beater Under £200

GetReplicaWatches

You can find the 007 cheaper conus and on a nice comfortable Jubilee.

http://www.jomashop.com/seiko-mens-watch-skx007k2.html?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=googleproductsearch&gclid=Cj0KEQiAjpGyBRDgrtLqzbHayb8BEiQANZauhysvTee6VmkD8p92NahWl5_aycFvhG6MAIxcgU_t3WEaAlgF8P8HAQ

I have the Pepsi and this is a watch every WIS should have in the collection. It's just that good for the buck and iconic that is why it is in Forbes . (I saw that also)

And for dess under $360 usds :   https://www.massdrop.com/buy/seiko-cocktail-time-sarb065-watch

MD-8428_20150612111250_f84b8504374de6ad.

8fa4b8da92cc88a076b1fbddeedd7d64.jpg   Now we are collectors but if you have a friend who  asks you: I need two watches one work and one dress OH watch guy ! You tell him these two he is done for about $550.

Edited by Mike on a bike

There's currently a 007 Seiko I'm looking at on eBay UK. Someone's unwanted birthday present basically. Brand new, still in wrapping. Looking promising. It's sitting at £50 with 20 hours to go.

On the dress few more bucks gets you the next step up a poor mans Grand Seiko:  

sdgm001-seikomatic-13_zps16205d37.jpg%7E

sdgm001a5005.jpg

sdgm001_6

Here’s a Seiko Brightz SDGM001 that I picked up recently. This is probably the first Brightz model that comes with a 6R15 movement. In the past, automatic Brightz (non-chronograph) models came with the 8L and 4S movements. Of course, this one is offered at a lower price point.

The SDGM001 features the Seiko Comfotex technology which include special treatment to the case and crystal of the watch.

The crystal is coated with “Super Clear Coating” on both sides to suppress reflection of light up to 99% or more. In addition, anti fouling (water-repellent film) is applied to the coating to provide resistance to stains and scratches. The crystal treatment looks similar to Orient’s SAR coating.

Nice case work look at the lugs and you get a good Seiko bracelet, low end ones not so good except Jubilee.

sdgm001_8

Let me see 50 gbp 76 usds try 150 USDS conversion, ain't going to get cheaper , shipping free?

Edited by Mike on a bike

On the dress few more bucks gets you the next step up a poor mans Grand Seiko:  

sdgm001-seikomatic-13_zps16205d37.jpg%7E

Here’s a Seiko Brightz SDGM001 that I picked up recently. This is probably the first Brightz model that comes with a 6R15 movement. In the past, automatic Brightz (non-chronograph) models came with the 8L and 4S movements. Of course, this one is offered at a lower price point.

The SDGM001 features the Seiko Comfotex technology which include special treatment to the case and crystal of the watch.

The crystal is coated with “Super Clear Coating” on both sides to suppress reflection of light up to 99% or more. In addition, anti fouling (water-repellent film) is applied to the coating to provide resistance to stains and scratches. The crystal treatment looks similar to Orient’s SAR coating.

Nice case work look at the lugs and you get a good Seiko bracelet, low end ones not so good except Jubilee.

sdgm001_8

Let me see 50 gbp 76 usds try 150 USDS conversion, ain't going to get cheaper , shipping free?

Shipping is £2.80

So, hardly a big factor.

$150 would be approx £98. So, £100 delivered.

Tongue in cheek...

The term 'beater' always revs me up. What is a 'beater'? VRF guys will say "5513!", TZ guys will say "Patek trip date/moon, Purist guys will say "A. Lange Zeitwerk repeater, Sir." while Nanuq will say "The last one I broke all to hell."

...but times have changed and by definition (imho), today's 'beater' is usually no longer a mechanical watch because truthfully, they are about as tuff as hen eggs. Many will say "Ok then, how about a G-Shock?" Well...they are usually plastic and thick so they stand up high on the wrist and are just looking for trouble...metal door frames, rock walls, etc and besides...they are fugly, lumpy, and fray cuffs. Nix the G.

Next they say "Ok how about a Seiko 5?" Nah...mechanical = fragile and they run only if you shake the pizz out of 'em. Nix the 5.

Timex? The word j-j-j-junk comes to mind. Today's Timex ain't yesterday's Timex. Nix the mex.

The answer is (drum roll), there are hundreds of 'beaters' but the vast majority today happen to be quartz (analog or digital but digital = Ugh!). A 'beater' needs to be in a low profile case (to help it stay out of trouble) with sapphire (prone to shatter), MG (prone to scratch and shatter) or acrylic (prone to it all) crystal with a canvas, rubber, leather, metal, nylon, barbwire etc strap or bracelet.

Rotating bezel? Nah again, they are for kids and real divers (not bedroom divers).

Screw down crown? Yeah, if you can stand it (stripped threads).

Crown guards? Nah, why guard something that usually gets stripped, not knocked off?

Q...Ok smarty, what 'beater' would you get?

A...A thin quartz pocket watch in a steel or plastic case carried inside a leather/nylon etc pouch on my belt.

"B-b-b-but you can't wear a pocket watch with a suit!"

You do not need a beater if you are wearing a suit, you only need a 'beater' out in the wild, my child.  

So...a 'beater' = what you like and can afford to lose, break, or destroy. Each to his/her own.   :pimp:

Edit:

All kidding aside, how about a Bulova Precisionist or Accutron II? They are cool (smooth sweep quartz) and the price is right on many models on eBay.

Edited by automatico

• 2 weeks later...

Tongue in cheek...

The term 'beater' always revs me up. What is a 'beater'? VRF guys will say "5513!", TZ guys will say "Patek trip date/moon, Purist guys will say "A. Lange Zeitwerk repeater, Sir." while Nanuq will say "The last one I broke all to hell."

...but times have changed and by definition (imho), today's 'beater' is usually no longer a mechanical watch because truthfully, they are about as tuff as hen eggs. Many will say "Ok then, how about a G-Shock?" Well...they are usually plastic and thick so they stand up high on the wrist and are just looking for trouble...metal door frames, rock walls, etc and besides...they are fugly, lumpy, and fray cuffs. Nix the G.

Next they say "Ok how about a Seiko 5?" Nah...mechanical = fragile and they run only if you shake the pizz out of 'em. Nix the 5.

Timex? The word j-j-j-junk comes to mind. Today's Timex ain't yesterday's Timex. Nix the mex.

The answer is (drum roll), there are hundreds of 'beaters' but the vast majority today happen to be quartz (analog or digital but digital = Ugh!). A 'beater' needs to be in a low profile case (to help it stay out of trouble) with sapphire (prone to shatter), MG (prone to scratch and shatter) or acrylic (prone to it all) crystal with a canvas, rubber, leather, metal, nylon, barbwire etc strap or bracelet.

Rotating bezel? Nah again, they are for kids and real divers (not bedroom divers).

Screw down crown? Yeah, if you can stand it (stripped threads).

Crown guards? Nah, why guard something that usually gets stripped, not knocked off?

Q...Ok smarty, what 'beater' would you get?

A...A thin quartz pocket watch in a steel or plastic case carried inside a leather/nylon etc pouch on my belt.

"B-b-b-but you can't wear a pocket watch with a suit!"

You do not need a beater if you are wearing a suit, you only need a 'beater' out in the wild, my child.  

So...a 'beater' = what you like and can afford to lose, break, or destroy. Each to his/her own.   :pimp:

Edit:

All kidding aside, how about a Bulova Precisionist or Accutron II? They are cool (smooth sweep quartz) and the price is right on many models on eBay.

I'm going to sound like an utter TOOL right now...but....there's such thing as a smooth sweeping quartz?!?! Where has this been all my life? haha. So the accuracy and reliability of a quartz, with the luxury feel of a smooth sweep. I'm sold!

The Precisionist manages an ultrasmooth sweep, You can try it out here (looks like the real sweep): http://www.bulovaprecisionist.com/

Bulova was the other first watch in space and the first one " to be left behind on the moon"