When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Incoming: IWC 5001 Laureus Edition

sacsah1

Hi guys,

Just took delivery of 4 watches and one of them was the 5001 Laureus edition for the Z factory. So wanted to share my immediate impressions of the watch.

Upon opening the box, first thoughts.. Wow what a beauty. The blue sunburst dial with white subdials really give it a nice contrast.

One of the other reasons why I love this watch is because of its model number 5001-12, 12 being my date of birth ;)

The AR on the Crystal is amazing.

The case finish is also very nicely done and the watch looks the part.

No stutter in the seconds hand yet (knock on wood) and so far the movement is working :/ I hope it stays this way.

The movement is winding, a little loud, but you see the power reserve needle moving as it winds.

Strap is bad! Good thing I have gen strap so I'll be switching soon.

When I changed the dates by pulling the crown, the date snap was solid but when I tried to move the date forward by moving the hour and minute hands, the date switched but only half way

I'll let the watch change the date now and see if it changes over properly.

Now a little about pet peeves, the movement feels weak. When I was setting the time I was praying it won't fail in the process. But I guess that's just my lack of confidence in Chinese movements but I'll refrain from any judgement until few days.

Second thing that bothers me which is minor for others is the "10" o'clock marker. The "1" is slightly slanted. Can that be fixed?

I'll report back in 24 hours with the progress.

7d780abf9e7fa44c6ce3c0ac46fd993a.jpg

d68ad8439cb81f6e5f0b50abcb9bdd94.jpg

fa71175fb617c08e8f9576839175691e.jpg

638be9d4e5f1b8f71d278bac9ce924f7.jpg

302f32c2adf7004a6c21b1edd9bef5c7.jpg

45877cf0a5fe0be2d3adc5c22a4a7748.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Very, very nice.  I am going to check my 5001 for the '10' alignment issue and post a photo. One small recommendation...get a nice blue alligator strap for yourself. I ordered a blue one for my rose gold version today.  I want a unique look....blue alligator paired with rose gold. Happy to post photos when I get the project completed. 

Here is my '10'. You decide if it is aligned. I think it's OK.

image.jpg

Edited by mule play

@Mule play I want a more versatile look that's why I ordered a black alligator strap but given how beautiful this watch is, I might order more of this model. Hopefully the movement can convince me to pull the trigger.

23eb309addda3387df2226e943884f7b.jpg

• Like 1

Seems like the crooked "1" in the "10" marker is a common issue. I have rejected 3 watches with the same problem and I am close to giving up until they improve the quality control. I am sure it can be fixed as they are only glued to the dial, but a pain to have to do it on a brand new watch. 

Seems like the crooked "1" in the "10" marker is a common issue. I have rejected 3 watches with the same problem and I am close to giving up until they improve the quality control. I am sure it can be fixed as they are only glued to the dial, but a pain to have to do it on a brand new watch. 

I agree it's a minor detail but important to me. Anyone has experience with fixing it?

I agree it's a minor detail but important to me. Anyone has experience with fixing it?

Very, very nice.  I am going to check my 5001 for the '10' alignment issue and post a photo. One small recommendation...get a nice blue alligator strap for yourself. I ordered a blue one for my rose gold version today.  I want a unique look....blue alligator paired with rose gold. Happy to post photos when I get the project completed. 

Here is my '10'. You decide if it is aligned. I think it's OK.

image.jpg

Does look slightly crooked too, but not as bad as some.

I ordered one too... It looks like that 1 of 10 is slanted on all. I guess the hole on the dial plate is not properly located. If it is so and if the markers are simply fixed with glued feet, it is an easy fix. I will do it on mine when I have time and report for the record !

Please let us know if the marker is fixable.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the "10's" being crooked issue is more of a visual thing.  you have three different round surfaces surrounding it a large angle "case" , small angle "0" and the seconds sub dial. so it seems it may be the appearence of being crooked but isnt. just my opinion.

cheers

Clet

How is the movt on these watches?

Kinda want one.. but if it's a ticking bomb :/

Can this movt be serviced to extend its life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think this movement is the ticking time bomb. It is working good for me so far.

Absolutely no problems with mine.  My piece is keeping within 5-6 seconds a day.  I recommend it to anyone and the rose gold is so sublime.  In fact, I received a compliment from another woman in the elevator Wednesday.  She said, and I quote, 'the geezer my favorite'.  I thanked her and smiled. 

• Like 1

How is the movt on these watches?

Kinda want one.. but if it's a ticking bomb :/

Can this movt be serviced to extend its life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolexman did a partial review here, waiting for him to come back from the vacations to read the 2nd part of it.

So far looks like the movement is pretty good.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/11/2015 at 3:43 AM, sacsah1 said:

@Mule play I want a more versatile look that's why I ordered a black alligator strap but given how beautiful this watch is, I might order more of this model. Hopefully the movement can convince me to pull the trigger.

23eb309addda3387df2226e943884f7b.jpg

The same here, I received mine yesterday and the only bad thing is the strap.

I wanna find one more taller and dark blue.

P.S. I love the date's font :D

IMG_20160114_191141_zpsckvno6sc.jpg

• Like 1