When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review Of The "ultimate" Planet Ocean 45mm

By-Tor

Ok guys...here are the wristshots I promised. Excuse the pic quality...these have all been taken with a [censored] camera which doesn't have macro (my fiancee borrowed my camera!). I'm amazed how grainy and shitty pics this thing takes.

The clasp shuts nice and tight:

175613-8515.jpg

Standard shot:

175613-8516.jpg

Here's how it sits on my 8' wrist. This thing is huge.

175613-8517.jpg

I'll take better shots immediately when I get my damn camera back. ;)

:bleh: That is one BEAST of a watch !!!

I purchased a rubber strap from Joshua for my 4th Gen. But there was a slight problem. I snapped this dirty photo to explain it properly:

175672-8506.jpg

So... has anyone checked between the lugs of the "Ultimate"? Is there a hole drilled in the middle... for the strap?

thanks by-tor.....you are indeed thorough.....that mini-review is exactly what i was looking for!!!

i wonder how deep the between-lug holes are?.....hmmmmmm.......maybe this is another use for the drill press that i bought. :D

Just a wee point to note. The genuine Planet Ocean straps do not have that 'tap' shown in the rep Seamaster strap.

Here's docblackrock's to prove it...

175678-8505.jpg

What they have instead is a solid SS end link cast into the rubber where the springbar passes through. The tap and hole was a cheap alternative to prevent the band flapping as By_tor describes.

See my thread here on the subject.

The genuine PO and standard Seamaster 20mm straps fit the 4th gen 42mm PO rep with no gaps or mods required. Doc has reported the 22mm strap as fitting the PO Chrono rep well with no mods.

It`s not only the watch who is big :)

Man, you like to work out don`t you?

Thanks. I competed as a powerlifter in the national level... but without much success. I had a good squat and deadlift but quite pathetic bench (for a 270-pound guy). It's my body structure (long hands) which prevented me from benching a lot. All top guys in my weight range benched at least 500.

I'm into combat sports these days... I need good aerobic condition... so my weight is now only in the anorectic 245-250 range. But I feel much better now... and I can even play occasional 2 minute shifts in the hockey rink. :)

@R1co: Thanks for clarification. So I guess my rubber strap is junk. Let's hope they come up with a decent one for the "Ultimate".

I think you should take a job as a professional watch reviewer!!!! Another great review. And boy does the man love his Omega's :1a:

Yes indeed. Glad you enjoyed it my friend. I really enjoy doing the reviews, it's great therapy and escape from work and stress. Photographing watches is a lot of fun too...I constantly try to improve.

I had a good squat and deadlift but quite pathetic bench (for a 270-pound guy). It's my body structure (long hands) which prevented me from benching a lot. All top guys in my weight range benched at least 500.

Yeah, but those guys are not wearing 20 pound watch on their wrists :lol: I have a very similar problem, even with the watch off -- I could never bench press more then 400 even at over 12 stones body weight, my arms and legs are long though for some strange reason I can squat a house...great thing I have a career in finance and not in powerlifting :)

Nice to see somobody else with 8' wrists (I have nearly 8' wrists myself) -- it never helps looking at wrist shots of guys with 6.5 wrists when deciding which watch to buy...nothing makes watch looks worst then putting it on a small wrist :brow:

Edited by Polynomial

Nice to see somobody else with 8' wrists (I have nearly 8' wrists myself) -- it never helps looking at wrist shots of guys with 6.5 wrists when deciding which watch to buy...nothing makes watch looks worst then putting it on a small wrist :brow:

Exactly. I've seen wrist shots where the watch itself is wider than the wrist. It looks a bit funny.

But for some reason putting watches on a strap lessens the effect greatly. I've seen some large watches on skinny wrists that look great. Look at Daniel Craig. He's a small (but fit) guy and yet the 45mm PO looked great on him.

I don't think I want the rubber strap, personally. I love this thing on a bracelet. Especially when the bracelet quality is as nice as it is. I'll put my 4th Gen on a strap when I find a decent one. Too bad I wasted my money on that useless strap. :(

The buckle might be useful. The genuine Seamaster strap as an aftermarket part comes without it.

Ya guys sure the rep strap cannot be forced-fit to the watch? I would not be surprised the repmakers did that on prupose, it is the only way to keep the strap in place, though it might take some hastle to fit it. Hold on, actually, Paul is selling 42mm POs with rubber strap for months, he calls those 5th generation, I am sure the strap comes from the same factory, and I would bet it is fitted in this way, anybody got the rubber PO from womart?

Edited by Polynomial

Ya guys sure the rep strap cannot be forced-fit to the watch? I would not be surprised the repmakers did that on prupose, it is the only way to keep the strap in place, though it might take some hastle to fit it. Hold on, actually, Paul is selling 42mm POs with rubber strap for months, he calls those 5th generation, I am sure the strap comes from the same factory, and I would bet it is fitted in this way, anybody got the rubber PO from womart?

Been there, seen it, done it. The reps that come with that strap have the extra hole drilled in the case, plus a second set of lugholes drilled closer to the watch body. The rep strap was never intended for the PO - it was made for the Seamaster which has shorter lugs. That rep is a bodge!

Been there, seen it, done it. The reps that come with that strap have the extra hole drilled in the case, plus a second set of lugholes drilled closer to the watch body. The rep strap was never intended for the PO - it was made for the Seamaster which has shorter lugs. That rep is a bodge!

It's a real shame that Joshua sells the rubber strap "for 42mm Planet Ocean" if it's not even intended for this watch. Misleading for sure... I don't care about the money (who cares about $35) but it was a lot of hassle and effort trying to make it fit to the PO... without success.

It's a real shame that Joshua sells the rubber strap "for 42mm Planet Ocean" if it's not even intended for this watch. Misleading for sure...

The straps will fit the 42mm PO - but only the Asian version - not the ETA version. I had the 3rd version PO with the rubber strap. I know that when the PO v 4 first came out, everyone was asking Andrew if these would fit the ETA version and he actually told people, myself included, that these straps would not fit PO v4.

I ordered a strap from Josh and threw it on the GMT. In my pics, you will notice that I had to throw some threading needles to act like endlinks so the straps wouldn't move.

I would hope and wish that they would come out with a nice rubber strap with ENDLINKS for the Omegas. It would be a huge success.

Ah...thanks for the clarification. I specially mentioned in PM that I want the strap for my 4th Gen and Joshua didn't say anything about this. I guess he didn't know then.

Not a big deal, really. But I spent hours trying to figure out a way to make it fit. Actually I made it sit still but I had to use 2 needles to push the strap against the caseback recess (those "bowls" that you use with a caseback opener).

It looked okay on the wrist but this "fix" was really pathetic, so I changed it back on a bracelet. And man aren't those springbars PAINFUL to get back in. :)

Interesting, I have a 42 PO with double set of lugholes, but no hole for the rubber strap on the body, I was wondering what the second set of lugholes was for...

You are a great asset to this and the other forums By-Tor :thumbsupsmileyanim: I once again enjoyed was filled with joy and admiration reading this thread . youre a true artist and a watch nut supreme. Happy New year to you and lets hope 2007 will bring us improvements have not even entered our minds yet.

g. :)

Wow, that is a great review, I was so certain after buying the 42mm 4th gen I had bought the last PO. However, I think this will be next on my list. I can't tell from the pics, but the 42mm has a small gap between the watch and the bracelet. Is this present on the 45mm?

Many thanks