When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modded Cartel 5513 v.2

jackflash

Jackflash:  Really love this post.  Thanks for sharing the knowledge.  I'm actively sourcing parts for a similar build and keep coming back to this. 

Could you please post a profile shot of the midcase after Zocker's re-shaping?  

Jackflash:  Really love this post.  Thanks for sharing the knowledge.  I'm actively sourcing parts for a similar build and keep coming back to this. 

Could you please post a profile shot of the midcase after Zocker's re-shaping?  

Sure, here you go:

60f6bed9af1a177d7dea1dc11085e95d.jpg

3ead8d4d82264a35820dbc3b598b8177.jpg

...compared to the old Cartel case (above)

a88b247370d5dc7cb8f7ea2104f3fe7e.jpg

...compared to the Cartel 1665(above)

9a3b72f80d6ddaa55b880399b32e5aee.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2016 at 7:16 AM, carolinaguy99 said:

Another example of what can be done with the new cartel 5513.

3ABD76E8-2FF1-4D04-A167-005DEC4F61A9.jpg

WSO 580's, WSO gen spec spring bars, MBK bracelet, WSO bezel assembly, gen service insert, clarks crystal, athaya crown/tube, yuki dial/hands. reshaped case, aged dial, drilled lugs and voila!

Is an mbk bracelet any better than the Yuki or cartel?  If so, where could I buy one?

The build has a sour side. The dial that was sold to me as a custom dial, is identical to the Helenrou dial. I believe the member I bought it from next door was duped, and subsequently I was unintentionally duped too. You live and learn:

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?271477-Prohunter-5513-custom-dial-or-perhaps-not

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that looks fantastic and the tc hands really do the job! Are those v1 or v2 tc hands? And how did you achieve such a nice cream color? Very nice build

Thanks. Probably a v1 handset, I picked them up in a m2m sale a while back. I used a dash watercolour paint in the lume mix (watercolour, acrylic binder, lume) to get the creamy colour. Although there's hardly any glow to the actual lume itself in keeping with a vintage model.

• 2 months later...

Hi Jack !
I want to thank you for your advice to use this GS Crystal. It's beautiful !
09c1c696b12ed09dc43f822146eade64.jpg
Do you know the diameters of your Yuki insert. Yuki say 36.5mm and my new startime bezel is 36.4 as gen. I want to buy a better insert than my Cartel.
Thanks

Hi Jack !
I want to thank you for your advice to use this GS Crystal. It's beautiful !
09c1c696b12ed09dc43f822146eade64.jpg
Do you know the diameters of your Yuki insert. Yuki say 36.5mm and my new startime bezel is 36.4 as gen. I want to buy a better insert than my Cartel.
Thanks

Well Bart, you continue to create some fantastic pieces and your dials are second to none! Happy to help where I can.

I'm not sure of the diameter of the Yuki insert. To be honest I've no qualms about shaving these slightly, either the outer edge, or the underside for a slightly recessed look. Having said that they fit the Cartel assembly without any problems.

Well Bart, you continue to create some fantastic pieces and your dials are second to none! Happy to help where I can.

I'm not sure of the diameter of the Yuki insert. To be honest I've no qualms about shaving these slightly, either the outer edge, or the underside for a slightly recessed look. Having said that they fit the Cartel assembly without any problems.

Thanks for the compliment, this dial is not bad for a budget gilt ;)

so I have not hesitated to reduce my Cartel insert, I'm a bit afraid to shave a nice Yuki insert. How did you do that on yours without damaging the edge ?

• 2 months later...

Wow, yes, great thread. I was having a quick look at this as I'm doing my own super budget 5513 build using a super cheap 16610 style case off FleaBay on RWI.

The thing that has made me re-think it, is this video on YouTube -

...where we can see that, about 1:45 in, that the crystal on the 5513 fits over the case (ala Explorer) rather than set into it. How does the Cartel case work? It looks like the crystal is part of the bezel assembly??

I was thinking of getting a better case as I'm loving the rafllesdials dial and hands on a HZ6300 mov, and wanted to give it the case it deserves. I have an Athaya 700 crown ready to go on something.

As far as I understand, the cartel system of crystal neck is gen so crystals fit the same way.  The bezel itself has a slightly off size for the insert which I think is too big so the inserts are glued to stay in.     

If you want a tight fitting bezel assembly, you pretty much have to buy a whole new bezel assembly including the retainer ring so that everything works together.  It works well because the neck size on the midcase where the retainer ring and crystal goes is the correct diameter.

Some people live with the glued insert but mine fell off in the pool in only 2 months of use.   

"...I'm doing my own super budget 5513 build using a super cheap 16610 style case off FleaBay on RWI."

You will need a 5512/5513 type case made to oem specs in order to go to genuine type parts.  Making a 5513 out of a 16610 would be quite a leap as some replica 16610 cases have an 'I' or 'L' type crystal gasket seated in the top of the case with a glass or sapphire crystal pressed down into the gasket unlike oem.  The genuine 16610 has a setup similar to a 1680 but uses a plastic crystal gasket over the outside of the case neck with the sapphire crystal seated in the top edge of the gasket.  The inner bezel presses down over the gasket and holds the gasket and crystal to the case.  Same principle as a 1680 but with different parts and different specs.

Rolex 5513 case neck diameter is 28.2mm.   Rolex 16610 case neck diameter is about 29.5mm so oem parts are not a match.  A better alternative might be a cartel 5513 with a 21 jewel Asian movement.

• 4 weeks later...