When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modded Cartel 5513 v.2

jackflash

Fantastic thread... and that's looking amazing. I have to say I prefer the service insert to the Yuki when looking at the overall finish/patina to the watch. It looks more like a dutifully serviced vintage than an all original survivor :-)

Thanks. Still in two minds myself, although it will probably be the Yuki if/when the pearl turns up.

Looks seriously great, I'm loving the texture of the lume and how well the hands match the dial. I'd also prefer to go the service insert route, but both options look great.

great work!

is it just me or does the bezel really stand out? i.e., looks bigger than usual... must be the photos!

Outstanding work Jack. You do some great builds.

I prefer the fatter font Yuki insert, but a gen mkiii would really look great on that piece.

Thanks guys :) The bezel isn't yet clipped back in place, it's just sitting on top of the retaining ring. I guess that's why it looks a little large in the shots.

I've ordered another pearl for the Yuki insert – Yuki is kindly sending it for free as the first one went AWOL en route. Customs had opened the envelope (there was a handset and a 7206 bracelet in there too) then resealed it without the pearl! Also looks like the endlinks of the 7206 have been flattend – someone probably decided to step on the envelope! Anyhow, a new pearl is on the way, this time with regular post rather than FedEx, who even managed to deliver to the wrong address (they mixed up the postcode!).

A MkIII insert would be great, but is a little over my budget. So the Yuki it will be, eventually :)

Ah, JackFlash this is the perfect thread for me!  Thank you for posting this.   I am new to this hobby and just bought the new update Josh/Cartel 5513 as well about a month ago with the intention of making a Tudor.

One thing that I'm not sure if you mentioned about this great case, is that it has a nice flat caseback.  I heard the older Josh/cartel had a bubble back that was way too sphere-like.  Also,  from what I can tell, these crown guards like identical to the post 1966 5513's that I always see for sale.   If I understand correctly, some had the pointed or squared caseguards, but these beveled ones on Josh/Cartel update look perfectly like the later cases I've seen.

Anyways, can I please ask you a question?     I already own a nice and newer Swiss 2824-2 movement.  So I purchased the same looking 5513 updated Josh/Cartel last month, with the same exact mispellings and everything.  But since mine was only 115 dollars, I think the inside has the 2813 or whatever they call that Asian21J movement, correct?   I am still just collecting parts to build an early Tudor.

Am I correct that all I need then is to find that exact same movement ring and get the two tabs/clips and screws that your watch came with since it has the 2836 clone?   I have a Athaya 702 Crown.

Where can I get that exact movement ring and the clips/screws?  

I would be so thankful for this info, my way of giving back to this awesome community is that I'm doing a step by step guide in how to etch a Tudor Caseback with precision and I will be using this same case!  Follow it here for anyone interested.

The stem height is different. These cases work best with a 2836/2846 ETA or clone. You can possibly get by if you use a H4 canon pin and have the right amount dial spacer.

I mean you can assemble everything and get it to work as is but over time the awkward winding angle will kill the movement.

• Like 1

The stem height is different. These cases work best with a 2836/2846 ETA or clone. You can possibly get by if you use a H4 canon pin and have the right amount dial spacer.

I mean you can assemble everything and get it to work as is but over time the awkward winding angle will kill the movement.

Yeah I keep hearing that it's way easier to just use the 2836 or 46 Clone.    I think I will do that now.

So I'll still need the exact same movement ring/holder that came with JackFlashe's Cartel 5513.  Because I assume there is the cheaper DG2813 movement in mine since it was only 115 dollars.

Is that correct?  (I have not opened the case yet, I'm just assuming from what I've learned on the forums that the 2836 version of the 5513 would cost more?

Jackflash... did the movement ring look like this?  This is what comes with a Seagull 2836-2.    Do I understand correctly I can use this movement with the case?

23w6sd0.png

Edited by RickFlorida

That looks like it is the top movement ring that sits on the movement itself. You need the movement spacer ring that keeps the movement centered in the case. My guess is that the ring that comes with the DG2813 will work on the eta- probably can also use the screws and the hold down tabs. Typically the movement spacer ring is brass colored.

Ah yes, you are right.  I think what I need once I purchase a 2836 is to get his spacer ring you are talking about.   JackFlash, any chance you will open your watch again?  If you do, can you measure the spacer ring for me?

I really should have just got the 2836 version as I will also have to remove the datewheel myself when I source a 2836 because they always come with one.   

Hopefully I can get Mr. Lica to get the factor to send me one, but this is a long shot.

16ks7jl.png

Edited by RickFlorida

Very nice build JackFlash !

After my 6538, I will try to mod my josh 5512 soon. CG particularly. Need to study more on that. I don't want to miss it. I

I have too 6538 cases, this time only one.

Thanks Bart. Judging by your fantastic lug chamfering skills it won't be problem for you.

Just to wrap this build up. Yuki pearl arrived, I added a dab of lume and it's now installed.

Breakdown of build as follows:

• Perfect Clones 5513 with Asia 2836 ETA – $288 incl. triangular shipping to EU. Here's the link: http://www.pf-818.com/-p-9481.html
  • Yuki bezel insert – $30 
  • Yuki pearl – $38 
  • Yuki handset – $10 
  • Athaya 702 crown and tube – $35 
  • Dial from M2M sale next door – $125 
  • WSO 580 endlinks – $30 
  • WSO gen spec spring bars – $10 
  • Ofrei crystal PA 462-66 – $11 

Total cost of parts, excluding bracelet – $577

Job done :)

909ea99e53547ba686dec8f705b48162.jpg

4c0383b13a84da3393aa6aa5f0e28f11.jpg