When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone bought explorer 1 (39mm)

jason6168

Good day to all the seniors and expert here. Kindly check if anyone bought the explorer 1 (39mm) ? Very much interested in that watch for its simplicity frankly. So any feedback is deeply appricated and with picture will b even better. Any flaws or movement wise etc. have a good Monday brudders! 

I have one that I bought from a member in October 2014 that was like new but with movement problems. I put a freshly c/o nos swisseta 2836 in it but have only worn the watch a few hours since then to 'road test' it. It is high quality throughout but like all newer models it has the glidelock type clasp and I just do not like them...too many parts. I also put a ST tube and used genuine crown on the case. The original movement turned out to be a mix of genuine and clone parts.

Imho the Chinese '21 jewel' movements are hit or miss in reliability and their etaclones are not a whole lot better. Swiss Eta is best but cost more and if you pay the 'swisseta premium' to a TD, no telling what you will get today with new swisseta movements being very hard for replica makers to get. This is why I jumped on this watch...the dial, hands etc fit a swisseta 2836 where '21 jewel' parts will not.  

edit: I am sure there are replicas with new swissetas available but my guess is they are few and far between as well as expensive. Most 'swissetas' used in replicas now are old, unserviced take outs or a mix of swiss and Asian parts.

Edited by automatico

I would go with the Asian etaclone and when it goes DOA maybe put a swisseta in it if you want to keep the watch. Etaclone watches may run for years before anything goes wrong, sometimes not.  I ended up with between $450 and $500 in the watch after all the work and I would guess a new one with an etaclone to be around $275 to $325 but I do not keep up with prices.