When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1675 Crownguard Variances

UmpaHimself

Hey guys, I am possibly going to do one or two light builds of the 1675. I have two different stock reps in transit. I know there is always talk of crownguards amongst the fora and while I am not going to be too picky, I'm just curious why I am seeing what seems like two different kinds of CG shapes on gens. Was it just one of the many differences between production years, or have some been so polished down they inevitably change shape? Sorry if this is a common question but I am just starting my journey into vintage land.

:D

Style 1:

ptlnSKX.jpg

MAGgTrN.jpg

Style 2:

7Gm6wLP.jpg

6YRO1a4.jpg

I believe the #2 pointed crown guards were only used through 1963. So all those would be gilt dialed watches. Al least originally.

Interesting, so would someone have pulled the gilt dials out at some point to put into a better case?

There's also the early transitional cg version too.

4BFE267E-58D7-4B28-92B1-721EB8B607CF.png

Wow, so I guess any and all of these are pretty much accurate. Thanks for the replies 

Not necessarily a better case...pointed crown guard "PCG" cases are sought after, more likely the gilt dials may have been replaced at service.  You see them (PCG cases) for sale with service dials occasionally.  I prefer the standard CG's myself, but some really like the PCG's.  There are many variables on vintage watches and especially vintage GMT's.  The small versus large GMT hand and the correct date wheels.  This stuff gets debated all the time.  Most would say the small hand was used through 1966 and maybe a little later with the gilt dials and then the larger hand was used when the dials were changed to matte in late 1966.  66 was the big transition for Rolex moving from gilt to matte dials.  So you see both versions in 66 for GMT, Sub, Explorers. Most would also agree that the original date wheels on the GMT had closed 6's and 9's, round 3's and a hooked 7's up until sometime in the early 70's.  

This is a decent source for quick information; although I do not agree with all of it. http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/      

• Like 1

Not necessarily a better case...pointed crown guard "PCG" cases are sought after, more likely the gilt dials may have been replaced at service.  You see them (PCG cases) for sale with service dials occasionally.  I prefer the standard CG's myself, but some really like the PCG's.  There are many variables on vintage watches and especially vintage GMT's.  The small versus large GMT hand and the correct date wheels.  This stuff gets debated all the time.  Most would say the small hand was used through 1966 and maybe a little later with the gilt dials and then the larger hand was used when the dials were changed to matte in late 1966.  66 was the big transition for Rolex moving from gilt to matte dials.  So you see both versions in 66 for GMT, Sub, Explorers. Most would also agree that the original date wheels on the GMT had closed 6's and 9's, round 3's and a hooked 7's up until sometime in the early 70's.  

This is a decent source for quick information; although I do not agree with all of it. http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/      

Wow, crazy. Thanks so much for the info. I can't believe Rolex would swap out the guilt dials for white dials. Regardless of value that changes the entire look of the watch. I am going to read up. But also I am going to try not to worry too much about the smaller details as in my many years of collecting reps I have found that there is a nice area where cost and accuracy meet to provide a watch that is "good enough" :lol: 

Hey Umpa glad you see you stopping in. When it comes to vintage Rolex this is the place, just an amazing depth of knowledge here.

Was researching the hand stacks last week ran across this:  http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=194542

Do they have it right guys?

Hey Umpa glad you see you stopping in. When it comes to vintage Rolex this is the place, just an amazing depth of knowledge here.

Was researching the hand stacks last week ran across this:  http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=194542

Do they have it right guys?

Yeah, that's why I posted here and not RWG.bz :lol:

I just read the link posted above by droptopman. Now my head is spinning. I know the rep I am going to be getting will be far from perfect but it will get me by until I can find the right build M2M.

Picked up this gen bezel on eBay. It looked like a Pepsi in his picks but in hand and compared to another aftermarket bezel I purchased it looks more like a Coke. He said it was from his 1675 but now that I have read the material posted I am thinking this isn't from a 1675. It definitely looks different in construction then my aftermarket bezel though so I don't doubt that it's vintage. What do you guys think?

2NxRBD2.jpg

There have been a LOT of changes in the GMT model line.  One of the only "rules" in vintage Rolex is that there are almost no "rules".  They're more ................ guidelines.

rolex_gmt_profiles.thumb.jpg.b1f95b848ac

Picked up this gen bezel on eBay. It looked like a Pepsi in his picks but in hand and compared to another aftermarket bezel I purchased it looks more like a Coke. He said it was from his 1675 but now that I have read the material posted I am thinking this isn't from a 1675. It definitely looks different in construction then my aftermarket bezel though so I don't doubt that it's vintage. What do you guys think?

2NxRBD2.jpg

Most probably a 16760 insert. As far as I know 1675 only had blue/red inserts, 16750 were also sold with black inserts. If you like it, I guess you can squeeze it into your 1675 bezel?

I have a red/blue (now purple/gray) 1675 made in 1979 and the cg look much like the second watch from the top in Nanuq's picture. The watch is still original...crystal, insert, hands, c/o once in 35 years, and for sure not ever polished but it has been worn a lot. I got it from the original owner but did not ask if it came with the jubilee or he put it on later...62510H clasp, and 550 hoods. I paid him what he paid for it new...$825.

I was going to put a 1675 together and use it to go by, bought a 1675 with swisseta 2836 and Asian GMT conversion from Abay but never started on it. The Abay watch looks like it is made from a submariner case, too thick and there is too much space between the cg for a 5,3mm crown. This seems to be a common problem.

edit:  I already had the Abay GMT when I got this 1675 GMT. I had another 1675 (made 1968) when I got the Abay watch but traded it away a few years ago. Got them mixed up.

Edited by automatico

Yeah, that's why I posted here and not RWG.bz :lol:

I just read the link posted above by droptopman. Now my head is spinning. I know the rep I am going to be getting will be far from perfect but it will get me by until I can find the right build M2M.

2NxRBD2.jpg

I don't think that's a 1675 insert.

I believe that's a sapphire gmt (16710/16760/16700) insert that has a slightly narrower outer diameter and wider inner diameter relative to the 1675/16750 inserts.

If you measure it, the correct dimensions of a 1675 insert is:

OD: 37.75mm

ID: 30.2mm

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think that's a 1675 insert.

I believe that's a sapphire gmt (16710/16760/16700) insert that has a slightly narrower outer diameter and wider inner diameter relative to the 1675/16750 inserts.

If you measure it, the correct dimensions of a 1675 insert is:

OD: 37.75mm

ID: 30.2mm

Yes that's for a sapphire gmt

Dang! Thanks for the info. Looks like that was a waste of $80. Well I ended up going for a WSO pepsi bezel anyway.

5dGYyYk.jpg