When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

'57 Rlx 6538 2-Liner w/ GILT Dial and FAT Bevels

slay

It took me a while to get all the parts I wanted, but here it is, 5 months of work paid off! When you start a project like this, you ultimately end up buying more parts than you need, often as part of bundles or because you're getting a better deal on them that way. I have another 4-Liner that I finished today, will follow-up with photos of that one soon :) Big shoutout to nanuq, cc33, dbane and kime for helping me with advice throughout the process.

Case+Bezel: Vietnam/Phong/dbane
Crown: Gen Rolex
Bevels+CaseWork: dbane
Movement: Gen Rolex Cal 1030, winding mechanism serviced by me
Dial: custom MQ
Lume: custom MQ (plot at 6 is slightly whiter to mimic the radium plots usually found @6)
Hands: Michael Young
Crystal: Clarks T19, shaved down to reduce height
Stem: Gen Rolex
Assembly: me

I have to point out the beautiful work dbane did on cutting the FAT bevels, because the bevels looked like absolute total [censored] when I got the case (I was sold a lemon). The early 6538's had these fat bevels and they they are really part of makes the watch unique. Getting a beautiful GILT dial was probably one of the hardest tasks. I had lots of back and forth with MQ and only thanks to the eagle eyes of nanuq, cc33 and dbane was I able to catch damage done to the initial dial I was offered. In the end, MQ made a completely new dial for, which really makes the watch. The next best thing would be an ivan dial, but his dials are twice as expensive at around $2k and I had to make choices so that the cost for this build wouldn't get completely out of hand! 

Anyway, here are the pictures:

n5yIG5w.jpg
VeMJwsS.jpg
GmH3oP2.jpg
8sN2f0N.jpg
oC9AN9k.jpg
Z7KXJP6.jpg
UYc6pSw.jpg
ERnW3tL.jpg
xLs62fZ.jpg
zQa9If2.jpg

• Like 4