When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16570 case for Yuki 3185 build

sneed12

No luck over at RG so I thought I'd ask here.

I am planning to do a build with a 3185-movement. Main challenge is going to be sourcing a midcase (everything else can be fixed with money!). I've got two of the old Noob Explorer II cases in the parts bin (which were, by far, the best rep 16570/16710 cases ever made) but they have ETA stem height. Obviously I could drill out the tube hole and reposition with JB Weld, like what polexpete did for his Breitling build or what the AP builders do when they switch from a 7750 based case to a franken with 2982+DD movement. Any other options? Sources for a midcase that would work, and if so, what's the pricing like?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, got everything back (the movement is beautiful, thanks misiekped) and assembled the movement/dial/hands. Everything fits into the case, but when assembled the stem hole is about .5mm too low. I removed the tube (which broke instantly, perfect opportunity to throw away the rep part and put in a gen-spec tube) and I guess I'll start drilling out the hole. Plan right now is to reposition the tube and see how it looks.

Still interested in finding a different mid-case that will take the 3135/3185 without modification... if the 16610 had the same CG configuration as the 116710 I'd be using a TC midcase right now!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sneed12, I have been through what you are going through.  Mike has built me two watches with his amazing Yuki/Rolex 3185 hybrid.  Now here is the sucky news.  No one make anything that is even close to fitting these movement.  

I have spoke to Phong and he would make me a 16710 case but I had to buy 10 at a time.  They were 1400 each or 1100 for just the midcase.  I wasn't looking to spend $11,000 or $14,000 so I kept looking on Ebay until I found a real 16700 case.  It cost me $1800 but It was worth every penny.  Now I have an amazing build.  Mike did that too.  He is my advisor so I listen to him and we made it a 16710 coke.  It came out incredible and I wear it all the time.  I actually sold my ceramic GMT that he made me a while ago.  

I have searched the internet and spoke to Phong, Yuki, BK, TC and no one has a case that fits a GMT 3075, 3175, 3185.  Sorry.

I am wearing the 16710 today.  It is all Rolex but the movement.  The movement is a Rolex/Yuki hybrid 3185 (Misiekped special).

It is a yuki 3135 with a bunch of pieces that Mike changes to real rolex parts.  I will attach a picture of the parts.  I don't know if they have changed but that was a pic Mike had sent me once of what was replaced to real rolex.  Then he gets all the Rolex parts to make the 3135 into a 3185.  I take it the extra step and change the winding gear and bridge and all the automatic winding gears and bridge along with the oscillating rotor.  That is just me.  You don't have too although I am told now that the Yuki reversing wheels are going bad.  So After all that the watch is incredible and keeps COSC time.

Good luck and if you find something please message me and if I find something I will let you know.

SubstandardFullSizeRender-7.JPG

IMG_1423.jpg

Can you plug the stem hole in the case and redrill it, like the guys are doing with the AP ROO frankens. They have to reposition the stem to use the correct movement as they also cut the midcase down to gen specs. There are a couple of guys over on RWI who have set up shop and are doin g the builds here in the USA now, used to have to send your watch to Domi in Germany to get the work done. I believe they are called C& W workshop or something like that.

occb2, your watch looks great!! I suppose it should since it's all gen except for the movement!!

It's really sad that no one has stepped up to the plate and built a good midcase for the 1675/16750 builds. There is a huge amount of interest here, and I'm sure on other forums as well, and there really isn't anything out there that works well. Same for the later GMT II models. Nothing short of a gen midcase is available. Biggest problem that I can see if you go with all gen parts, case, dial bezel/insert crown, bracelet and a mike modified yuki 3135, I would bet that you are getting really close to the price of a all gen 16710.