When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

[part 1+2 and final thought] full tear down IWC A5001

Rolexman

Thanks Mark!! Great job as usual!

A little question: when put back together the mainspring after cleaning / oiling, do you use a mainspring winder and a closing tool like these?

mainspring-winder-.jpg590856.jpg

Or you manage to do everything by hand?

I'm contemplating to get a winder from some time but they are soooo expensive :/

• 2 weeks later...

Just chiming in again.  I took apart my rose gold/white dial model last night to fix some factory dust issues and to grease the case seal.  In particular, the dial had some dust particles and 'fibers' inside that cast shadows on the dial.  These particles were very noticeable under direct sunlight.  The crystal and case inside was also a bit dirty.  These photos were very helpful in taking everything apart for the cleaning and reassembly.  Now my watch is clean and the rubber case seal is greased.

I'll note taking the rotor off is the easy part.  Putting the screw, jewel and jewel topper back in place is fun little challenge for steady hands and a loupe.  Be patient.  The keyless works is very easy as well.  The crown and stem come out nice and easy after depressing the clutch release button.

Thank you, again, for taking the time to detail your approach.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...