When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should I buy a eta 2836 or a 2824 mvt

horologist

I have a water damaged replica submariner which has a rusted mvt and would like to replace the mvt.  It has a eta 2836-2 mvt.  I also have a spare dial and date wheel overlay, but am not sure if it is recommended to get a 2836-2 or a 2824-2 so that I can fit the date wheel overlay without any hidden problems??  I heard rumors that the 2836 Is less problems for this than the eta 2824 but don't really know why.  I am very ignorant about this and would appreciate any feedback to which direction I should go???

many thanks in advance

They are not interchangeable so stick with the matching movement to what is in your case now. The movements are virtually identical with the exception of the added day wheel on the 2836. The accompanying extra mechanisms to drive it increase the front side thickness of the movement. So when cased the stem position will not line up correctly.

Stick with the 2836-2 movement, these have a slightly more stepped date wheel, which is more favourable for DWO fitment/clearance.  You would then need a dial spacer the correct depth so that the newly applied DWO doesn't foul the underside of the dial.

Stick with the 2836-2 movement, these have a slightly more stepped date wheel, which is more favourable for DWO fitment/clearance.  You would then need a dial spacer the correct depth so that the newly applied DWO doesn't foul the underside of the dial.

many thanks!!!!

would the dial spacer that comes with the new movement work........or will I need a different sized spacer????