When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP diver (Noob 5.1) crystal question

GenTLe

Today is my AP-questions-day looks like...

I have bought a Diver like in the subject in the m2m section of rwg.bz arena.

It has some small problems, like a stem unscrewed crown, a broken rubber strap "ring", and few scratches on the bezel, so it came relatively cheap respect to the new one.

I have already ordered some cheap spare rubber "rings" from the Bay and I will fix the stem (probably taking the opportunity to service the movement).

My question is about the bezel. Since I want to rebrush/polish it, I want to remove the crystal before.

I remember that some models of the APs have the crystal which it just pressed between the midcase and the bezel, so if you unscrew the bezel the crystal is ready to be removed without the crystal press.

Do you know if this is the case or not?

Thanks, GenTLe.

Not the case with AP Divers A, when you remove the bezel, the crystal is fitted to the bezel itself.

I can't recall from memory, but some of the older AP Divers the crystal removes by pressing from the outside, later models need pressing from inside outwards.  You should be able to tell right away once the bezel is removed which way it presses out.  Make sure you have a correct replacement crystal gasket just isn case too.

I usually buy my crystal gaskets from my rep parts guys, usually in packs of 20 per model for those not available off the shelf, the Diver is one such model. Reason I buy so many is as you know, I offer ProfSteve crystal services now, and prior to that I used to offer a UK lab.