When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Out of the box Newman Daytona

1665fan

Chris,

The best were the DW Daytonas. Sadly, DW went AWOL and they are no longer available. Lots were sold, and they come up for sale on the forums all the time. There were three variants, the first was the DW with the "mystery" movement, which has been gone for a long time, the second was the DW with the a7750 movement. Lots of them around, try to find one that has the movement converted to manual wind, which involved removing the auto wind mechanism, not just the rotor. The third variant was not sold as a complete watch to my knowledge, but as a case set to fit a Valjoux 72 movement which was the same base movement that Rolex used. These are usually watches that have a lot of genuine parts and are quite expensive ( several thousand dollars).

I have owned several of the a7750 watches, and they were pretty solid dependable watches, especially if they had the conversion to manual wind only.

The only other are the Daytonas that are sold by the Dealers here. AFAIK, all of these use a bicompax movement, usually a Seagull ST 19, which means that the subdial (totalizer) at 6 o'clock is a faux dial with a non functional hand. I had one of these, and it was OK, but I could never get past that frozen hand @6 so it was moved on pretty quickly.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk