When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Rep Movements on Toro's site (MicroRotor)

Guest REPPIN

Guest REPPIN

Anyone else seen this yet? http://www.torobravo2015.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1951

When did they start making Patek MicroRotor movement reps. This thing is pretty cool. If we could get a Nautilus with one of these I'd be soooo excited. 

Pics look pretty good for a rep. Of course it's nowhere near Patek quality or finishing. But just the fact that they are making this movement gets me excited. 

Edited by REPPIN

There was a microtor movement in some replicas about 15 or 18 years ago and this might be the same movement back from the dead. They did not wind very efficiently and had other unspecified problems so they did not stay around for long. Watchlover David offered them in some omega seamasters aka 'sea-nastiers' back then. I also saw them in a prototype Michael Kobold watch on TZ around this same time.

A fairly well known watch guy who sold private label 'swiss made' watches tried to sell this same Asian made microtor movement in some of his watches calling the movement 'all new swiss made' but he got outed. I know the details but will not go into them publicly. Some of the saga was on the NAWCC website at the time.

I have a few watches with microtors (Universal Geneve Polerouter, Hamilton Thin-O-Matic, Bulova Ambassador) and you need to be very active or do the Full Tilt Boogie a few times a day to keep them running. Hamilton used Buren microtor movements in their T-O-Matic and later bought Buren out to get the movement but they gave up on them and went to Eta a few years later. I have a Ham Thino on my desk and it does not look much like the one on Toro's website and neither does the Universal Geneve.

Harley Ronda also made a microtor movement 25 or 30 years ago (Harley Ronda 2538) but it was rough as a cob and had a few gremlins. You might see one now and then in a cheapo brand.

Here is the HR 2538:       http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/c-watch/item/391968

Agreed with Automatico - these movements need to be (from what I understand) extremely high-end with a large barrel power reserve or the watch is basically useless. I really love the micro-rotors and you can really see the beauty of the movement and with decoration they're spectacular... this one looks way more genuine than any other Calatrava open back rep I've seen, but I'd be worried about the movement and power reserve - not rich enough to "try it out" for $350 bucks.