When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with a Trusty Submariner

KneeDragger

I bought a pretty nice Sub from Andrew about 3 months ago and today i looked down to see not working. It's my 3rd from Trusty and while he offered me a repair at 90 bucks, I don't want to wait the month for shipping if I don't have to. Is anyone wailing to maybe give me some ideas as to what may be common with this momovement?

From TT website: Nickle Plated Asian Eta 2836-2 Modified to Rolex Calibre 3135 Markings and Bridges, Automatic Movement, 25J, 28800bph

I took the case back off and as far as I can tell, the balance wheel only wants to move one way. Any help is appreciated! I'm in the Western New York area if there's some one closer than China I can ship to for the repair.

Edited by KneeDragger

Probably the impact jewel escaped from the pallet fork.

You need to take the movement out from the case by removing the stem/crown and the movement holder scews, unscrew the balance bridge, carefully lift the balance bridge and balance wheel (avoiding to touch the hairspring) and put them back properly so that the balance spins in both directions.

Nothing really difficult with a couple of good screwdrivers, a movement holder and a good pair of tweezers.

Thanks for the reply, I'll take a look.

I removed the rotor and took a quick video of the issue.

th_20160117_141310.jpg

Yes, exactly what I said.

But stop playing with it unless you want the impact jewel to comes out from the balance staff (and seriously risk to kill the movement)!

Thanks for all the advice guys. Its much appreciated. I gave it one more shot last night and I guess that time was the charm. It's been running perfectly since. I'm hoping it was a one time thing, but if not I may look at finding a new balance, or even finding an ETA and just swapping the movement completely. Thanks again!

Edited by KneeDragger