When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Old mbw case 5513 plexi help

Hi,

I have a great 5513 based on an mbw case and wso bezel construction.

The plexi shattered and also the replacement yuki one i got shattered soon after i installed it.

A replacment i got of ebay fits but the bezel is loose around it and just falls off.

Id appreciate the help cause i love this watch

I sold you that watch, I do believe! I modified that retaining ring to fit a Clark's t19 crystal. That's the crystal you need to buy.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Yes you did!

And its by far my favorite!

How did you modify the ring? Did you just shave it down abit from the inside?

The whole construct should just press down around it real snug right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold you that watch, I do believe! I modified that retaining ring to fit a Clark's t19 crystal. That's the crystal you need to buy.Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Yes you did!

And its by far my favorite!

I shaved it from the inside so it wouldn't crack a Clark's. It stays snug without being unmanageable to get on.

I sold you that watch, I do believe! I modified that retaining ring to fit a Clark's t19 crystal. That's the crystal you need to buy.Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Yes you did!And its by far my favorite!

I shaved it from the inside so it wouldn't crack a Clark's. It stays snug without being unmanageable to get on.

Thanks.

Hope you are well.

I put a gen Superdome T39 on my 1665 and it fit like a glove.

I think you posted a pic of that one, you know im a fan!

I put one of Michael Youngs T19 superdomes on my 5513, turned out quite nice.

Do you have a pic?

Never heard of that one..

I tried a CWP tropic 19 on my Frosty Flake and it fit exactly like the gen t39 I had on it.

Here's the gen T39, note the sidewalls were slightly too tall:

46e228996f558ae7558e3952f6786d1f.jpg

Here's the CWP T19:

10e02e96888b695456e492bab5b609e6.jpg

So we know the gen T39 fit the MBW and a gen case and a Phong case, and the CWP fit the Phong too, so it will also fit the MBW.

7 hours ago, sor@mail.technion.ac.il said:

I think you posted a pic of that one, you know im a fan!

Do you have a pic?

Never heard of that one..

Heres a link to a couple of threads...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/thread/1372841763/Meeting+Michael+Young+in+Bangkok+%26amp%3B+a+replacement+T19

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=313971

I have an MBW/MBK 'polex 5513' that I have had for about three years but do not know the actual age of the watch. I used a CWP crystal and it just did not suit me...the MBK crystal retainer bezel felt a bit too tight. I tried a few different combinations and ended up with a ST bezel assembly and GS crystal. The crystal was either a GS PA462-66 or GS PA462-67, do not remember which one...one is a hair bigger OD. It mounted easily and left about 1mm above the bezel. The optics are Ok but I am not very particular about this detail.

Here is a list of what I used to make the watch:  MBK case...TC case tube and crown...GS crystal...ST bezel kit with the matte finish polished away...ST bezel insert that came with the bezel kit...rolex 26 jewel 1520 hack ...1570/75 center wheel/canon pinion/hour wheel/calendar spacer...Yuki dial...ST hands...case screws with clamps...all gaskets from ST, case tube, case back, and under crystal retaining bezel. The case is unaltered except drilling the lug holes out to 1.3mm.

As for why the 1570/75 date parts were used...read the MBK sticky above. Case clamps were used in place of rolex 'flying saucer' screws so I would not have to spin the movement/dial in the case so as not to damage the outer edge of the dial (it felt like it was going to be tight). I wore it quire a bit but it is apart now waiting on a new hack (second stop) spring. The tip of the hack spring broke off, fell into the guts, and jammed it up.  :pimp:

After you mount a few rolex PA type crystals you can usually tell if it feels right when pressing the bezel down over the crystal. The MBK bezel and CWP crystal just did not feel like it would seat without maybe cracking the crystal. I have used CWP T19 crystals on other projects with no trouble at all. 'PA' is the GS designation for straight sidewall crystals and is commonly used in the trade and hobby.

Most of this type crystal cracks because:  The crystal OD is too big after being mounted on the case neck...the crystal ID is too small and cracks when pressed down over the case neck...the OD of the case neck is too big...the bezel is too small for the crystal...the bezel is not pressed straight down during installation. You can shine a bright light straight down on the crystal after installation and scope it out with a 10x loupe and usually see any cracks in the crystal side wall. If none are seen, wait a week or two and check again. After that, you are usually Ok but it is a good idea to look at the crystal every month or two.

The MBK case neck OD where the crystal mounts is 28.2mm.