When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My dial is here! - 6204 content

Nanuq

Finally, after an agonizing wait, my dial is here!  I'm ready to commence my next build ... the iconic Rolex 6204.  :notworthy:  The first "Submariner".

Okay gents, pop quiz: where did I get this bad boy?  Is this a Dark Lord dial?  It's gorgeous for sure, but it pales in comparison to the glorious case set I've wrangled from a well known member here.

Let the games begin!  :tu:

6204%20dial.jpg

• Like 3

Congrats B! It looks the part that's for sure.  Tonnywatch is either MQ in disguise or using the same supplier, the dials and parts he gets are identical to MQ's.. The dial looks really good, the submariner text looks to be paint and the rest relief which is true to gen. 

The 6204 is the only Submariner I own. I first saw a picture of it as a 'Sub-Aqua' on Stefano Mazzariol blog that freddy333 referred to during the 6542 builds. It's really a tough call for me between the 6542 and the 6204. I love `em both!

The 'Brevet +" case engraving is by our own JMB.

3 2015 2.JPG

2015 Brevet.JPG

2015 face1.JPG

• Like 2

cc33,  I have a set of those hands already, and am thinking about how to use them best to get that "63 years old" look... they definitely need to be "gilt" though.

JoeyB, I like your hands even more.  I just need your hours hand and I'm set.  Maybe your minutes hand too, it appears to be 1mm longer than mine.

• Like 1

This is the thing I love about this particular forum. The love of vintage...and vintage Rolex at that!

When I first joined the rep forums I was after a Rolex - Modern. Then my tastes changed and I sought Panerai and similar high quality modern reps.

My tastes however have now come full circle....almost....but now I seek vintage Rolex's.

Sadly I cannot afford the likes of NDT and Phong and Minh. I am one of many members enjoying the world of budget vintage builds. I cannot afford the stunning and beautiful Frankens that I see on here daily.

But, this is what 'I' love about this forum! This particular forum! Vintage Rolex! To me it's beautiful!

Sorry to hijack this thread! I'm done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Can't wait for this build. After its completion, I am hoping to see a complete watch box shot with the rest of your collection. 

I am a lil confused on the hands. Were they gold from Rolex or was it silver that exposed the brass over time?

1 hour ago, Nanuq said:

JoeyB, I like your hands even more.  I just need your hours hand and I'm set.  Maybe your minutes hand too, it appears to be 1mm longer than mine.

Take it easy there, sailor! I like you too, but...:nono:

After trying to make a satisfactory hand from pieces, I found the hour hand I finally used at Otto Frei, part number is HAN 7008. $4 per set (includes 14mm hour hand, not suitable for the 6204 or 6542).   It still needs some modding. but I looked for several years and could not find the right shaped pencil hour hand. I used 1500 sandpaper and shaped the edges towards the point more. It didn't need much, but some for certain. The Frei hour hand hole is 1.55mm, just a hair too big for ETA. I carefully squeezed the hole smaller to make it fit. At $4 a set, I ordered 3 sets so I could mess up one or two and still be OK.

The minute hand is the one from Helenarou for ETA, 13mm. Both hands are silver. It is my opinion, having never seen a genuine 6204 in person and only in pictures, that the hands were not gilt but brass. Brass being used for ocean going tools. I used the 1500 sandpaper to take the hands to bare brass, and let them tarnish a tad. They don't tarnish much at all once in the sealed case. The chapter ring itself on chapter ring dials is 26mm in diameter. The minute hand then must be 13mm to reach the chapter ring, as Rolex did with the 6204 and early 6542, and likely the Turn-O-Graph. They went to the 12mm hand within 2 or 3 years at most, based on pictures I've seen. Somewhere in 1956 or so.

The simplicity of the 6204 is captivating. When those long hands reach out across from each other, it is mesmerizing. I wish I could take better pics to show, but you'll have yours soon enough to show us all!  

Let me know if I can help.

Sub - Aqua.jpg

• Like 3

Here's a little trivia: did you know the 6204 came with a choice of glossy or matte dials? (I am not aware of another such offering from Rolex, please enlighten me if you know otherwise)

I've got a nice matte refi dial - doing a little case shaping on a budget 6538 case (gotta slim 'er down to the gen spec 37.5mm) with a gen + 6mm crown - JoeyB, thanks for the tip on the hands...

Anyone know if this model took a trop 17 crystal? Best looking rep inserts that aren't obvious tells?