When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6536 custom build

jelliottz

I believe I love the small crown Rolex Subs more than the big crowns. I decided I wanted to make a 6536.

This was the goal.

RX6536-1-01c_zpsjjgwdci9.jpg

RX6536-1-02c_zpsoxgk8ou4.jpg

And this is where I finished.

20160119_073107_zpsqow4ykvo.jpg

Silix case

ETA 2783

Custom dial by me

Rep 6mm crown

Tiger Concepts gold hands

Case softened and beat up, lugs chamfered and rounded

Plexi sanded to lower the height

Insert bleached to removed the gloss

Bezel heated for light brassing

My goal was lightly worn but old. The case is one I already had. It has taken some nice natural wear over the past year.

20160119_074014_zpswko7guqo.jpg

20160119_074026_zps0sffgjej.jpg

20160119_074304_zpsh0jf58ah.jpg

20160119_073949_zpshb57fcto.jpg

Shiny...

20160119_090522_zps2co8i4ag.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

The small crown Sub is my favorite as well. I don't know if the 6536 used a 6mm '+' crown or not, as the 6204 did. I think Rafflestime still has some at a very good price, but they do need some modding. I ordered several in case of modding mistakes, and for any that break. Surprisingly, so far, not one has failed. Make certain to get the right tube for your case by measurement.

http:// http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/140709-6mm-brevet-crown/?hl=%2B6mm+%2Bbrevet#entry1046879

I have used the water slide decals for a few years now. I think that the gilt chapter ring dials in particular, they are very good. It did take a lot of trial and error to figure out allowing the brass background to show through the printed dial portion, but the results were well worth the effort. The 'patina' can be controlled by your use of the spray sealer. I use a water based acrylic 'glow paint' for my lume.

dial.JPG

dial decal.JPG

2015 face 3.JPG

• Like 1

The small crown Sub is my favorite as well. I don't know if the 6536 used a 6mm '+' crown or not, as the 6204 did. I think Rafflestime still has some at a very good price, but they do need some modding. I ordered several in case of modding mistakes, and for any that break. Surprisingly, so far, not one has failed. Make certain to get the right tube for your case by measurement.

http:// http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/140709-6mm-brevet-crown/?hl=%2B6mm+%2Bbrevet#entry1046879

I have used the water slide decals for a few years now. I think that the gilt chapter ring dials in particular, they are very good. It did take a lot of trial and error to figure out allowing the brass background to show through the printed dial portion, but the results were well worth the effort. The 'patina' can be controlled by your use of the spray sealer. I use a water based acrylic 'glow paint' for my lume.

dial.JPG.29276648376a028518b63e47617f667f.JPG

569e7b47d5647_dialdecal.JPG.117ceaf17397b6c1d621e05332f560b3.JPG

569e7bd63a6e2_2015face3.JPG.7c764c2c5951ee046a92c6cf95136d44.JPG

As JoeyB said, you can do a lot with the decals. They're very durable. Just takes a little time learning to get them right.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

It's a fantastic work !

I imagine you print a dial on decals, then cut text and chapter ring with precision to reveal the dial brass.

I wonder how to print dial with quality. I already tried to print good quality dials pics on premium photo paper, but the results is very bad. Text and chapters were unclear.

As I know that vectorization is better than bitmap, I'm trying to draw a simple white 5513 dial with illustrator.

For gilt chapter ring dials I use clear decal paper, printed at the highest dpi my printer allows without making puddles, photo setting. I lightly swirl sand the bras dial by hand using a burgundy scotchbrite pad. The light swirls give a more gilt look.  In the decal pictured, the white is actually clear in use. Most inkjet printers do not print white, so, the brass shows through where the white is.

I used pictures from the internet, then tweaked in my photoshop program. I'm no computer techie, so I did it all the hard way. Made it round, sized, then sharpening all the script by enlarging the picture and smoothing by each pixel. A lot of experimentation, learning what worked and what didn't. I actually enjoyed it, so something must be wrong with me...:bangin: 

• Like 1

JoeyB, I imagine people thought there was something wrong with Francesco Queirolo as he carved his masterpiece.  But his efforts show, as do yours.  :tu:

There's a very fine line between something "nice" and something breathtaking.  A good Small Crown is no small accomplishment, and there's no better place to gather the knowledge to build one than good old RWG.

disillusion_detail.thumb.jpg.32d7b915142