When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what is your feeling on microbrands?

cavi

Well...I only had good to great experience with Micro Brands back in my gen days.

Boschett, Precista, Armida, Magrette to name just a few. All of them delivered great value at a relatively low price. 

That being said I'd rather buy some high end reps at these prices...they are for some reason more fun to me :)

I run into the same issue when contemplating micro-brands as the others above. The price is usually the prohibitive factor and for me personally often the size as most I have seen have pushed to 40mm for the dressier and 42mm+++ for divers which is far to large for me (for reference I generally wear a 1016 with joy and a 16610 for a diver which I wouldn't want to go too much larger than without it looking a bit big). I also find that they generally either look like homages or quite ugly from my experience.

I agree, I just sold my Heroic 18 Bronze Diver as it was just too big (47mm) Too heavy and wasn't that comfortable on my wrist. Myiota 9015 movement, but compared to my MKII's and Ocean7 watches, the quality was lacking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMO I feel there is a big difference between micro brands and startups. Micro brands like Squale and MKII definitely make some high end stuff. On the other hand, most of the startups I have come across lead to delays and disappointing executions, especially when typically all they have to show upfront is digital renderings.

I have sold all of mine except for one. The Tempest Carbon. It's super comfortable on the wrist. Case size is great, light and durable. Lume is amazingly bright and expertly applied. The finishing is done very well but nothing mind blowing, and it came with two straps. It could have come with a rubber and woven strap instead of two woven. It doesn't have the most high end movement (Miyota 9015), it wasn't cheap (around $900) and it took quite a while to be released. But the best thing is that it's not an homage of any kind which is super rare these days for a dive watch.

aD4vyKN.jpg

Hm6jufc.jpg

9sQ8QpB.png

ABnJaWy.jpg