When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Decals print dials

Bart Cordell

30 minutes ago, Sogeha said:

That is incredibly generous of you Bart, a gentleman! I think I’m going to try using the explorer dial to make a kitchen clock.

LOL !

troll-wearing-wall-clock-on-wrist.jpg.303d1f0e29d23f0a273d4b529eb1e0a8.jpg

26 minutes ago, philwongnz said:

Very selfish Bart.. Haha..

It's been amazing what you have shared so far! Sorry for the delay, I'm going to Vietnam in Jan so I should be able to source you some plain dial plates if you still need them.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks mate, I'm interested to get some at good price ;)

Sharing is the DNA of our hobby.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lume is the hard part for me too. I use a water based acrylic glow paint because I wasn't sure how a regular lume would react to the decal. I found that when I messed it up, the water based wiped off with a wet Q-tip for a do-over. The round markers are easy. I use a bamboo skewer, looks like a long toothpick, flattened tip. Dip in the glow-paint lume and touch the marker in the center. It makes a perfect circle lume. The hour markers and coronet are more difficult. I've used many things, an oiler, toothpicks, etc. None worked for me. Then I tried a calligraphy pen. The nib and pen gave me more control and came out better. But it does take practice. 

• 2 weeks later...

My first decal suffered a bit of shrinkage on one side so the chapter ring was oval not round,I think it's because I dried it too quickly,this one I will leave to dry at room temperature for 24 hours and hope it turns out better 9089c25604206e338e6c6d2376d324e0.jpg891dbf00f9d25a905769df6a2c327592.jpgdf162b45f5f289ebecad7c0d41c53d24.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

On 1/24/2018 at 5:47 AM, Alan72 said:

The dial came out ok but my lume skills are crap

Looks like a good start. IMO the text is a little too big and fat. I believe that template came from Phong's dial, which has the fonts of the Tudor service dials, so it would have white/silver text in the wild.  

I think the random eBay dials are closer to the original, especially the 7928; here is a pic that could be used to make a very accurate template. And another pic from a gen 7922 dial--interesting that some actually had the dagger marker overlapping the rose.

S0faqg4.jpg

UTPUowi.jpg

I might try a template soon, I have the Photoshop skills. Bart mentioned the Tudor dial would be tough and I agree, the script is extremely fine and the rose has almost microscopic detail. 

Edited by jimcon11

Looks like a good start. IMO the text is a little too big and fat. I believe that template came from Phong's dial, which has the fonts of the Tudor service dials, so it would have white/silver text in the wild.  

I think the random eBay dials are closer to the original; here is a pic that could be used to make a very accurate template. And another pic from a gen dial--interesting that some actually had the dagger marker overlapping the rose.

S0faqg4.jpg&key=5fd13984590386de949a2d6c98354f029df828caa6721604a04f83f3d8985b72

UTPUowi.jpg&key=255a5ff728b2dd88eed60e36524ce9fa19135ef6dcaa3fed830abe11ee39ff01

I might try a template soon, I have the Photoshop skills. Bart mentioned the Tudor dial would be tough and I agree, the script is extremely fine and the rose has almost microscopic detail. 

I have no Photoshop skills whatsoever,I just printed straight from Bart's template,when it comes to making the font thinner or changing anything that is well above my pay grade but the dial will do while I search for something better

I was bored this morning so I made a Tudor no-crownguard template based on a gen dial pic. I don't have a good printer or decal paper to test print it, but it is easy enough to modify if it doesn't print well.  I left the text kind of jagged thinking that will print better but there's several ways to smoothen it out if necessary. 

EiOjxxH.jpg

Credit to Bart for the original 6538 template earlier in the thread. 

Edited by jimcon11
  • Like 1

I was bored this morning so I made a Tudor no-crownguard template based on a gen dial pic. I don't have a good printer or decal paper to test print it, but it is easy enough to modify if it doesn't print well.  I left the text kind of jagged thinking that will print better but there's several ways to smoothen it out if necessary. 

EiOjxxH.jpg&key=63c16db83700d45f49c3bfb712681aa330d4a42835285c1e27bc45d7b03010e5

Credit to Bart for the original 6538 template earlier in the thread. 

Nice work mate. However in my opinion ;) you shouldn’t have kept my 6538 chapter ring, it’s not very effective and too thick in certain places.

5 minutes ago, Bart Cordell said:

Nice work mate. However in my opinion ;) you shouldn’t have kept my 6538 chapter ring, it’s not very effective and too thick in certain places.

Thanks. Is there a better 26mm chapter ring template out there somewhere? That would be an easy swap. 

Edited by jimcon11