When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Decals print dials

Bart Cordell

Don't worry about fuc%in' stuff up.  When I started I bought a bunch of "Canal Street" quality $30 Subs and destroyed a bunch of 'em but was able to learn my limitations and what did and didn't work.

Sweet! 

A big tip is using several different dials and pics to create an as-clear-qs-possible picture. 

Maybe you find a super Swiss on a good 6538 dial. Maybe the coronet is clearer on a 3rd dial etc. 

Don't think I have to teach you tips as you've gotten really good. 

Also... Burn and the Dodge tool are you're best friends along with Adjustments/Levels :inverted:

• Like 1

Sweet! 

A big tip is using several different dials and pics to create an as-clear-qs-possible picture. 

Maybe you find a super Swiss on a good 6538 dial. Maybe the coronet is clearer on a 3rd dial etc. 

Don't think I have to teach you tips as you've gotten really good. 

Also... Burn and the Dodge tool are you're best friends along with Adjustments/Levels :inverted:

Thanks my friend !
You know I'm not a graphic designer, your tips will help me to achieve better templates.

• Like 1

I've touted the water slide decals since 2008, and while it's not easy, it isn't really difficult to do. It's more using computer photo programs to enhance and improve the print. You've done a wonderful job of it. :good:

I did the 'exclamation point' dial for my 1960 1675 cornino. 

All Black 1675.JPG

My 1675.JPG

• Like 2

I've touted the water slide decals since 2008, and while it's not easy, it isn't really difficult to do. It's more using computer photo programs to enhance and improve the print. You've done a wonderful job of it. :good:

I did the 'exclamation point' dial for my 1960 1675 cornino. 

All Black 1675.JPG

My 1675.JPG

Thank you Joey ! You inspired me when I saw your thread few months ago.
Decals dial are not that hard, but it need experiment to achieve good results.
Your dial is very nice.
Can I try to print it ?

Absolutely. I left it at the size so anyone who wants can use it. Once I got to my 'best' I simply use photo shop to 'paint' the lower script and insert whichever I wanted to build, 'GMT Master', 'Submariner', etc. The gilt dials work best for me, though I've painted the dial white for other models, and one 'reversed' color for the white dial 6542. 

June 21 2400dpi white dial.JPG

• Like 1

Absolutely. I left it at the size so anyone who wants can use it. Once I got to my 'best' I simply use photo shop to 'paint' the lower script and insert whichever I wanted to build, 'GMT Master', 'Submariner', etc. The gilt dials work best for me, though I've painted the dial white for other models, and one 'reversed' color for the white dial 6542. 

June 21 2400dpi white dial.JPG

Nice !
Did you ever tried to paint a red line on dial to achieve red depth text ?

Yes, I tried many times for a red letter 6542 dial. I couldn't do it. Not enough talent. I tried just printing the red, but that looked bad, and then making the dial red under the decal, but that didn't look right either. I also tried to print the red letter on top of an already printed, dried and sealed decal, but that was a mess too. The red lettering needs to be raised, and I can't figure out how to do that myself. 

Yes, I tried many times for a red letter 6542 dial. I couldn't do it. Not enough talent. I tried just printing the red, but that looked bad, and then making the dial red under the decal, but that didn't look right either. I also tried to print the red letter on top of an already printed, dried and sealed decal, but that was a mess too. The red lettering needs to be raised, and I can't figure out how to do that myself. 

Tried some of that too. Printing small red text in black is near impossible. I will try with a red permanent marker on a next 6538 dial.

What happened?

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Dial plate holes are not in right position. Originally it's a dial with glued indexes. I knew it could not work, but I wanted to try. Now I need another windowed dial, ideally with no indexes holes...

7bf3c136eb593e500f1ed19bac3b11d8.jpg

Or sand my stock 1675 plate