When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Decals print dials

Bart Cordell

Nicely done! 

I wonder how it'll look on the 6538 one, 

Thank you !

Soon. I think I'll do the 6538 this weekend.

Meanwhile, 5513 dial with hands in case.

033eae03ec096fe518fa55f04bf368bb.jpg

68e2f706fb076afe55f15d995be16948.jpg

6a4e9274894d63678ff45187a56d840f.jpg

7c2bef44d904aeed0dd1d70de3c0862d.jpg

the watch that inspired me :

3e8436224b872493ac7a609de8dc7c80.jpg

And the dial I tried to reproduce :

7db740f6bf1e5ef150701aa531eb1ab2.jpg

@hologramet

Thanks but not perfect at all. The insert is the cheapest I found on cousins. Sold as a 5513 replacement but the pearl is bad and the hole is very big. I need to buy a better one from wso or yuki.

Agree for the pearl. I will order it soon. Any advice between Athaya, wso or yuki pearl ?

I'm satisfied with my nato's French dealer Esprit-Nato. The quality is very good and they are G10 compliant. Will see Timezone.

Agree for the pearl. I will order it soon. Any advice between Athaya, wso or yuki pearl ?

Excellent work! Deserves a good pearl, go for Yuki. More expensive but a much better mould finishing than Athaya, which in my experience needs the residue trimming.

@champagne-communist Yes ! I have idea to make that. Tiffany & co, or better a Serpico y Laino. Even if these inscriptions are white not gilt as they are printed later by the seller. I can only do gilt.

And I think to make a custom with my real name too :

c42daf71729764ddfc46d5b01a9351c8.jpg

Hi, I´ve tried both silver and gilt hands and the gilt ones are so amazing under different lighting conditions/ reflections in the sun or semi-glare in the dark I never went back. As for period correct the objective often is to re-build it as it left the factory. In real life (and in our case out of budget reasons) I often just jump the step and fit whatever is at hand. This is what a watchmaker in the sixties or seventies/eighties in some remote african location or tropical island would had done: attach the hand/ the crown or the plexi that was available, not the one from the RSC center. Even RSC centers started attaching the thick GMT-hour hand to early 6542 or 1675 GMT-Masters that use the small GMT-hour-hand if serviced. It´s only in modern times that because of the value these pieces are retro-fitted again:)

To bring the decal-dials yet to another level they´d need a puffy, creamy relume to give them that depth of 3-D effect. Below 2 samples with silver and with gilt hands, home-relumed with a mixture of acrylic white/raw sienna/yellow ochre and Nescafé/lume powder. Some day these will get the Athaya-crown attached, by now I go with the above philosophy (have the crown, just didn´t want to break the stem and destroy the tube - if it needs drilling and retaping I´m stuck and they just work relentlessly well as they are).

What fascinates me about Your project is it opens limitless possibilities for special editions/ tropical vintage pieces... it´s mindblowing:)

IMG_6645c_zpsy3aog4b7.jpg

IMG_6633x_zps9b1j74en.jpg

IMG_6869c_zpse7qgjrsw.jpg

DSC_2265_zpsuhkccpii.jpg

and silver

DSC_3095_zpspxjt13ij.jpg

DSC_3039_zps8ifhdf5n.jpg

What is your case from? It's looks spot on! The crown and guards looks correct but am curious about the bezel assembly and crystal. Beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What brand of decals is everyone using? I am in Toronto-area of Canada so looking for specifics so I can find the right stuff. Might need to order... I have a friend who will be working on my file via Illustrator and will probably make a template so that I can make different size dials, change text etc...

2 hours ago, SuperHero said:

What is your case from? It's looks spot on! The crown and guards looks correct but am curious about the bezel assembly and crystal. Beautiful.

What brand of decals is everyone using? I am in Toronto-area of Canada so looking for specifics so I can find the right stuff. Might need to order... I have a friend who will be working on my file via Illustrator and will probably make a template so that I can make different size dials, change text etc...

Thanks, these are Dremel-reworked old Cartel 5512 and 5513 casesets. The new Cartel has better shaped/longer crown-guards to start working on it. I´d recommend Supermirrors to get them. The plexi on the first is a T19 from Ebay, the bidirectional bezel assembly is the one they came with. Very nice watches to work on with 26/27 mm dials.

• 2 weeks later...