When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Broken Stem

silentflight

While removing the crown on my franken SMP w/asian 2824 (POS) I managed to mess up the keyless(go figure)... upon reset of the keyless and subsequent reintroduction of the stem and crown... the stem snapped. 

I have never dealt with a new stem before. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, has anyone experimented with installing gen swiss parts on an asian movement? If so, would the keyless be less prone to [censored]ering if genuine keyless parts were used? I cannot get a stem back in to save my life. I have no issue with the keyless resets, but its a pain in the ass to have to do EVERY time. I never have an issue getting them out, just back in... 

• 3 weeks later...

I've used gen parts on an Asian 2824 with good results in the past but of course you can't guarantee that they'll work every time due to manufacturing differences. I've not found any that wouldn't yet but with my luck yours would be the first! The hardest part of fitting a new stem is getting the length right and not screwing up the threads on the stem. I messed up more than a few a couple of decades ago, but like any other skill the more you practice it the easier it becomes.