When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first MBW 1665 DRSD build, help please. :D

civic4982

Is that a phong insert you ended up getting? Looks like a nice fat font. I like the MBW insert very much, the triangle is really nice at 12 but since I actually bought 4 MBWs I kind of want some variety. Looks like a good start though. The MBWs I got have varying degrees of lum glow and color. Some more white and flat, some more yellow and puffy. I am curious so know what you find with the crown and tube as I have just ordered a gen set based on the statement another member made in another thread specifically about the MBW crown. He said a gen crown can fit on the MBW tube but when I compare my cartel with Athaya crown/tube to the stock MBW, the Athaya tube looks thicker.

No this was a gen insert as sold to me by Sub007

I also noticed the same thing. The Athaya tube is a lot thicker and needs the case to be drilled and tapped.

This doesn't seem to be true for the 5513 or 1680 as my friend stated his was okay and swapped right in.

Athayas tubes for 702 should be exactly the same as gen. They will fit gen crowns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any advice for nicer and flatter hands? The MBW seems to be small and off on the hour hand. Actually all the MBW hands are seemingly not correct.

I'm considering TC hands vs. M. young hands vs. Clark's with Clark's being the least pricey at $15 or so.

2 hours ago, civic4982 said:

No this was a gen insert as sold to me by Sub007

I also noticed the same thing. The Athaya tube is a lot thicker and needs the case to be drilled and tapped.

This doesn't seem to be true for the 5513 or 1680 as my friend stated his was okay and swapped right in.

Athayas tubes for 702 should be exactly the same as gen. They will fit gen crowns.

Any advice for nicer and flatter hands? The MBW seems to be small and off on the hour hand. Actually all the MBW hands are seemingly not correct.

I'm considering TC hands vs. M. young hands vs. Clark's with Clark's being the least pricey at $15 or so.

Athaya 702 tubes might be the same spec as a gen 702 crown but will not fit 703. You can see the comparison on my thread here:

I ended up getting the Clark set. $13 vs $50, I don't think you would notice the $35 difference IMO but I have not compared both in person.

12 minutes ago, AGONZCA said:

I've heard TC hands are the best for this kind of vintage builds. Where and how should I order them? What's the exact model I should ask for?

If you do want to purchase a set of TC hands you can locate the info on his blog: http://blog.tc-sub.com/2012/05/tc-parts-list.html

I believe the V2 hands are what you would be after.