When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Show the PAM combo you choose today

docthor

Nycrounders and bigwaved and mrthompspnr and who knows how many others, you know you're killing me here. Innocently showing glittering gems on this thread, like "oh THIS old thing??"

For those of us who don't walk on water and divide by zero, what does it take to put one of these together?

• Like 2

Nycrounders and bigwaved and mrthompspnr and who knows how many others, you know you're killing me here. Innocently showing glittering gems on this thread, like "oh THIS old thing??"

For those of us who don't walk on water and divide by zero, what does it take to put one of these together?

Sure ;-) I can help.

It starts with an idea. Think of what type of dial and case you want. Look at builds you like or always wanted for ideas. Here is a little quick guide to Panerai cases and looks.

edbf1614b9aed7cf72f5e8e47833a3c8.jpg

Takes a case set, I usually purchase from River. He has most vintage styles. Ebay is good too ;-) or buy through m2m for parts.

Then your favorite dial maker to make your idea come to life, bigwaved, black shark, Pratt, Nastas, belkin, or pvirus. There are many others just a few I heard about.

Buy a movement like a 6497 for manual wind Panerai with seconds at 9 o'clock. Buy a nice pair of hands to go with the dial you designed. Last but not least a perfect strap to go with your build.

Here is an idea that I'm working on to get built soon. A Metri style dial with a twist.

Sent this to a dial maker with a radioactive theme. Told him to to try and get a nice gradient using warm colors red orange yellow
d502038aba116eef76e8802a345b3e8f.jpg

He came back with this model
69a5e0188432d1f339a513eb384690d9.jpg
And after the dial gets completed I will work on getting the perfect case, hands and strap.

I can send videos on how to assemble and disassemble if anyone wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For more advanced builds there is aging, case shaping, plexi choices, hands aging ...

It takes a little practice but after you do your first build you will be hooked.

For more advanced builds there is aging , case shaping , plexi choices Kploy is the man for that, hands aging ( look up boiled egg trick for that)

• Like 5

Dang.... I did my 6538 Big Crown build and thought I'd reached the ultimate. Little did I realize there's a parallel development path!

I have a gorgeous thin 3646 Rolerai now. It seems like the caseback goes through the River 3-piece midcase and screws into the front bezel, and once they're connected but not tight, the midcase still moves around the front / movement / back assembly.

Does that seem right??

5 hours ago, nycrounders said:

edbf1614b9aed7cf72f5e8e47833a3c8.jpg

Then your favorite dial maker to make your idea come to life, bigwaved, black shark, Pratt, Nastas, belkin, or pvirus. There are many others just a few I heard about.

Here is an idea that I'm working on to get built soon. A Metri style dial with a twist.

I can send videos on how to assemble and disassemble if anyone wants

It takes a little practice but after you do your first build you will be hooked.

You have no idea how great that picture is to a new guy. I searched high and low for something that gave an oversight of vintage Pams a couple of months back.

I know three of the guys you name and they are not only really good at their craft, but really terrific guys as well. I've heard good things about Black Shark and Pratt, but don't know much about them.

Fancy doing a build thread on that beauty?

Yes please, pretty please?

I have a nasty nasty feeling this is going to cost me money before the year is out. I've already spoken to Bigwaved about buying some dials down the line. Trouble is it starts out real innocent. I wanted a Rolerai, but then I wanted the 6154, then I wanted cream, brown and near black dials, and then........

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nanuq said:
Dang.... I did my 6538 Big Crown build and thought I'd reached the ultimate. Little did I realize there's a parallel development path!

I have a gorgeous thin 3646 Rolerai now. It seems like the caseback goes through the River 3-piece midcase and screws into the front bezel, and once they're connected but not tight, the midcase still moves around the front / movement / back assembly.

Does that seem right??

It is not right. They should tighten all the way up to snug on the mid case. Everything is designed to fit together so nothing wiggles around. Either one or both of the bezel and case back is not screwed in all the way. Be careful not too screw one in more than it should in comparison to the other. That will cause the stem to not line up in the tube correctly. That will be bad for the stem and movement.

Edited by Bigwaved