When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Birth year grails discussion...

aphillipe

So - I've watched a well known member here "graduate" to some AMAZING genuine birth year vintage Rolex pieces over the last year or so... we all know who I'm referring to.  Yesterday I really looked hard at my depleted box.... all 3 of those watches... two genuine Tudors and (his) gen spec 6538 big crown I picked up last August.  I started thinking to myself.... 1981 wasn't as special with Rolex as some of these 60's and 70's watch models, but the 5513 was still produced and the 16750 pepsi isn't a bad looking watch either.  The 16800 is also an option too for something different that's not quite "collectible" yet but may have a nice return later.  Anyhow - as I looked around online, one can find a pretty solid 16750 for $6k-9k and an equally solid 5513 for $8k-12k.  Would I be crazy to sell off my gen spec 6538 build (roughly $7K) to fund one of those two watches and then start saving for the other?  I know I'll likely never own a 6538 that's 100% Rolex, and this thing is about 99.0% there (and breathtaking in person) but if my long term goal is to focus on birth year models this sure gets me closer sooner.

Talk me on/off the cliff I'm curious what all of you think is best.  If you have any other suggestions for 1981 models I"d also love to hear them. I know a Omega Speedmaster is also on that list but Omega's serial numbers versus manufacturing dates are not as clean cut as Rolex.

Beware the "grail" that comes too easily ... it will soon lose its luster.

It took over 4 years for me to acquire mine, and another almost 20 years to put it back into the condition it deserved.

NOW ... it's a "grail".

• Like 2

To me it also looks You´re just at the beginning of "the hunt" and You may have many Years ahead and down the road to decide on it and find it. If You get it sooner, fine, to get it at age 50 or 55  possibly makes it more "special" or gives it more appeal, just because it will be more than 1/2 a century old - same as You, on the day You first have it on the wrist.

Somehow I think the birthwatch "finds You", once You have decided exactly and without any doubt what it will be and are actively searching for it. 

Very true on the "grail" meaning.  I have been collecting for 30 years.  My first "grail" was a 16613, by definition not really a grail, but the Rolex that when I saw it I said I will have one of those one day.  That was a 16803 and I was a teenager, which we all know they changed to the 16613.  When I 18 and I was working as a teamster doing labor.  I made good money but not enough for a Rolex.  So I started a side business and worked many hours to save up for that 16613.  So while it was a goal to acquire one, it was not really a grail, because even though I had to work hard to get the funds, in the end I just went to the AD and bought one.  I wore that watch pretty much everyday for many years.  Then in the late 90's through 2010 or so came the mass flips.  Lots of new models that I would swear was the grail only to be traded rather quickly.  I did get to try a lot of different 5 digit models during that time.  Nice thing about Rolex, you rarely lose much even on quick flips.  

I still really appreciate the 16613 as a special watch to me since it was my first, but I really did not identify my true grail watch until I spent some time on the rep boards.  For whatever reason through all those years of collecting, I never really got into vintage Rolex.  A good friend and fellow collector was always trying to get me to try a vintage and I would always pass for a new model.....I just did not know the references enough back then and I guess my lack of knowledge inspired some fear of vintage pieces.  I always thought they were fragile...LOL  After spending some time here and trying out a bunch of different modern and vintage examples, I knew the watch I really wanted.  5513 Gilt with Bart variation dial.  It just so happens that my grail watch was also produced in my birth year.  For the better part of the last two years, I searched multiple websites/multiple times everyday.  A couple of decent examples came along, but there was always something that was just not quite right.  There is a lot of time, effort and work that goes into these searches.  Every once in awhile a decent example would appear, and I would consult with my friends who are knowledgeable about vintage pieces.  Our own Dbane was very helpful throughout this process as well as other members here.  Thank you gents.  I do not care what anyone says, this process of finding a "grail" was harder and more time consuming that any high end franken build I have done.  Finally, the perfect example for me showed up and I knew it was the one.  Only took a few minutes to put a deal together.  I have only had it for a week, but seems like it is part of me already.  I love it more each time I put it on.  Kind of a weird paradox as I am grateful I found it and very grateful I was in a position to acquire it.  The watch gods have smiled upon me.  But now that the chase is over, I am in this "watch harmony" and not sure what to do with the extra time...... 

As others have stated, you will "know" and there will be no doubt about which example it is.  

Now as an "investment", whether it is a grail or not, a good vintage example bought right will almost always be like money in the bank that you can enjoy while it appreciates.

When we get together this spring, spend some time with my GMT and Sub and see if either really sing to you:)         

9745E414-BB58-4012-90EA-37E895B413B6_zpsjghghjnm.jpg

I was also born in 1981, and I started thinking about this a few weeks ago -- I think I'm going to go 16750.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh568/devildog267/16750-2_zpszaoyqgo6.jpg

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh568/devildog267/16750-1_zpsskia9dbe.jpg

Best of all worlds in some ways, I can use the open 6 datewheel, I can use a CHS ETA movement without having to drop $1k on building another 3185, and I get the lovely acrylic crystal. I'm thinking cartel 1655 explorer case. Still haven't found a source for a dial unfortunately.

I was also born in 1981, and I started thinking about this a few weeks ago -- I think I'm going to go 16750.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh568/devildog267/16750-2_zpszaoyqgo6.jpg

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh568/devildog267/16750-1_zpsskia9dbe.jpg

Best of all worlds in some ways, I can use the open 6 datewheel, I can use a CHS ETA movement without having to drop $1k on building another 3185, and I get the lovely acrylic crystal. I'm thinking cartel 1655 explorer case. Still haven't found a source for a dial unfortunately.

I was born in 1984 and went with a birth year 16550 from HQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1982?  Transitionals are so cool man!!! I'm in love with the 16800. I'm eyeing this one but I think it's overpriced once you include another $800 for the bracelet to match from the seller...  I listed the 6538 gilt for sale today on here.  It was hard to do but I think it's for the best as I just don't wear it often anymore.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=444803

Congrats to all you "youngsters" who are fortunate to have quite a lot of choices for your birth year watches. Like JoeyB, when you are looking at birth-year watches from the 1940's (JoeyB may a bit younger so his may be from the 50's!!) there really aren't a whole lot of appealing watches to chose from. First off, most of the watches were very small. Unless you are tiny with skinny wrists, a 32-34mm watch is not something that you are going to wear regularly. Manual wind, not much water resistance, and movements that are 60-70 years old are pretty fragile, compared to more contemporary watches. Of all the watches from my birth year, the Longines "Weems" pilots watch would definitely be high on my list. Most everything else from that era would be considered a dress watch today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Born in 1980.

Quite a lot of options. 6263 being the creme de la creme.

But currently got this watch.

Mark 1 1665 great white. It is a 1978 watch but was sold on 1980. So pretty close for now.

5666fad0518f5d3d0004b68f69fde9a8.jpg

f4796d8040c2d2f3339bde00e0d11a67.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9100 using Tapatalk

Love it !!! Should I go for a 16800 first or a 16750? Can't decide....

I recently sold my 16800. Glossy dial has turned completely matte.

Nice matching patina all around.

I still have a 16750 in my rotation.

Based on personal preference, i have to say 16750 is sexier especially if you can find the matte one. Mine is the spider dial one.

16800 looks more modern. Saphire crystal. I have to say, it looks similar to 16610. While the 16750 is actually still look like a 1675 with the plexi.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nanuq said:

@Pan153, I hear ya. I'm lucky that watches were up to 37mm by my birth year. This one is my birth year AND month. :tu:

wrist.jpg

I just love that watch but have a feeling i never Will convince you to sell :D 

I recently sold my 16800. Glossy dial has turned completely matte.

Nice matching patina all around.

I still have a 16750 in my rotation.

Based on personal preference, i have to say 16750 is sexier especially if you can find the matte one. Mine is the spider dial one.

16800 looks more modern. Saphire crystal. I have to say, it looks similar to 16610. While the 16750 is actually still look like a 1675 with the plexi.

What did you get for the 16800? I think I'm going to chase a 16750 first. The matte with Pepsi insert has so much going for it...

I bought a nice Tudor Snowflake Ghost build last year as my 1968 birth year watch. I don't wear it often or as often as I should. The plexi T19 makes me a bit worried but again that crystal really makes the dial look spectacular. I am very glad to have it and thankful to the Italian watch smith/modder who made it possible.

"What should we start with?"

"An '82 Margaux."

"Is it good?"

"Good? It will make you believe in God!"

• Like 1