When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage GMT Master

dwswatches

I am after buying a vintage Rolex GMT Master, however I do not seem to be able to obtain exactly what I am after. The type I want has the dial quite close to the Glass, or in other words has a very slim rehault. I attach a picture of a genuine Rolex GMT Master from the early 1980's, can anyone suggest where I can purchase one?

gmt_zps7fdeb052.jpg

That image is showing a 1675 GMT with a matte dial, old style lume applied directly to the dial and a plexi (plastic) crystal, not mineral, glass or sapphire. They should be easy enough to come by but in various conditions and prices. You can check watchrecon.com if you are looking to purchase one from a private party. If not you can check various dealers in your area and online. I know here in Los Angeles there are many stores that specialize in vintage Rolex.

Also I recommend you read through this site to figure out if that is actually the model you want or if you want something newer. http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com

I really don't think there are any good replica vintage GMT's from dealers. they have several glaring faults. one the case is too thick (The gen 1675's 16750's have thin cases compared to the reps) second and most glaring, the gens have a tiny 5.3mm crown, all the reps have a 6mm crown. Anyone who is knowledgeable about the vintage GMT's can spot it from a ways away. They are probably the least accurate and hardest to get accurate of any of the vintage Rolex watches from that era.

They are also difficult to mod mainly because of the case/crown issue. Most folks who have built really nice ones are using other cases, either from and aftermarket supplier like phong, NDT, MingQuy, or some of the 1655 Explorer cases. You can do it, but it's pretty expensive to really do it right. Not trying to discourage you, but I would read the threads here as there have been quite a lot of builds here. The guys who have done it are a lot better able to steer you in the right direction.

The 'noob' modern non ceramic GMT II from 6 or 8 years back were not too bad except for the (non adjustable) wrong hand stack. They have the same serial number as noob subs...F520117, at least the one I had did, and they also have swiss etas and sapphire crystals. Be careful of the models with adjustable 24H hands, some were prone to trouble. I have not seen any for sale in a long time though. By-Tor might have done a review on one. Most of the plastic crystal 1675 models were not too hot imho. I have one with a swiss eta 2836 from years back but it just looks out of whack and the dial has 'oyster perpetual date' on it. They are Ok for a drive by but anyone who knows much about them would bust it.