When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 Gilt Build - Thoughts So Far?

UmpaHimself

At this point I have only installed the Yuki dial, hands and blue insert. The hands I aged with a light scuffing from 3000 grit sandpaper and espresso foam. I chose a dark blue insert from Yuki because the inspiration for this watch was a gen that's bezel faded to a light blue. Without knowing what the base color was for the aftermarket inserts, I decided to get this blue insert and fade it to see if it can work. I bleached it for about 30 min, buffed with 5000 grit sandpaper and then spread nearly dry espresso around it to offset the blue and add a little vintage grime. That's the main thing I would like to know you're opinion on. Does the blue look legitimately like a faded, once black insert or does it just look plain blue? I know the insert is a lighter shade then the reference picture but that was the point where I felt it started loosing that obvious blue look.

Reference gen 5513 Gilt

5keO4Sx.jpg

oFWpQZS.jpg

My MBW

A4nBbl5.jpg

CPckZKW.jpg

Ft3Za1I.jpg

HCjVboI.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marrickvilleboy said:

Looks good 

Can I suggest you post these in the Rolex sub forums going forward?

Thanks. Sure. I contemplated it but since the forum isn't super active I thought the thread might go by unnoticed.

Dial, lume and the gilt hands, seen through that curved plexi, crown match up fantastic with the watch. Could look at it all day:) The insert imho is well on the way but still retaining a little bit too much bluish tint. On the wrist it must be stunning to have.

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Dial, lume and the gilt hands, seen through that curved plexi, crown match up fantastic with the watch. Could look at it all day:) The insert imho is well on the way but still retaining a little bit too much bluish tint. On the wrist it must be stunning to have.

Thanks for the encouragement. Meantime I'm sitting here thinking it looks ALL WRONG! But that's the OCD kicking in. Yes I think it's still too blue as it looks even more so in hand then in pics. But not sure I want to fade the insert any further. I may just stick with a black faded insert.

3 hours ago, cavi said:

I am not sure about the expresso stuff.  That is me personally.  Are you going to replace the pearl?  To me, without the pearl it looks worn out, not vintage.  Again personal opinion  The color does look good!

I'm not either, was just trying to counter all the blue. I have three new pearls otw from Ofrei. I agree, I am done with the no pearl look now that I have found these great ones from Ofrei.

2 hours ago, cc33 said:

Looks great! I like it 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, jackflash said:

Nice job. Would add the pearl though.

Yes, on the way.

1 hour ago, DVNE said:

Trim the outer CG's and it is finished

I agree. I still want to do a lug reshape and add a 702 crown to this one. I plan on adding a rivet bracelet as well. That will come later though. Since these MBWs are a bit hard to come by I want to make sure I find the right person to tackle the job

16 hours ago, porschespeedster said:

This is a beautiful build man, I wish I could have pulled the trigger when those MBWs were available for a hot minute!

Unique watch and look.

Thanks man, I think a new batch is for sale and some are popping up m2m.

5 hours ago, aphillipe said:

Wow close replication to the original that's impressive

Thank you! Still needs some work though.